PDA

View Full Version : Maverick Philosopher on Zapffe

qcrisp
03-01-2016, 12:40 PM
I haven't seen this posted at TLO already, though it might have been. Apologies if I'm duplicating a previous post. Anyway, 'Maverick Philosopher' (Bill Vallicella) writes here about Zapffe (famous to fans of Ligotti, of course, for his prominent place in TCATHR):

http://maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/maverick_philosopher/2016/02/the-view-from-mount-zapffe.html

R.P.Dwyer
03-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I've read the "Maverick Philosopher' previously. He argues in the rigorous fashion of a analytic philosopher.

Interesting that our resident anti-natalists and pessimists haven't posted a reply in this thread.

Malone
03-06-2016, 05:55 AM
Probably because we're tired of the "ANs/pessimists are just selfish hypocrites who do nothing for anyone and weren't loved enough by their mothers, and we're so great for manning up and having kids and facing our 'responsibilities'" line that dominates here, but anyway...

As regards Zapffe, there's a disconnect between his absurdism and his ethics. If you truly believe the world to be absurd and all ethics to be contingent and local then there's no more imperative to prevent pain than there is to cause it. No one has established a timeless, universal morality and no one ever will.

R.P.Dwyer
07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I see two pessimism-related threads recently created.

I think that before anyone posts some pessimistic philosophy, they ought to deal with the arguments presented by the Maverick Philosopher first.

For example, academic philosophers specializing in epistemology take into consideration Descartes. Oh, the academic can disagree with Descartes, but he or she must explain why they disagree.

Our resident pessimists who have not dealt the Maverick Philosopher head on, is, in my opinion, not to be taken seriously.

cannibal cop
07-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Speaking from my own pessimistic or antinatalistic perspective, I do not feel compelled to join the argument here. "Human life is absurd" strikes me as a feeble statement, frivolous and essentially meaningless, and hardly worth debating.

A dog in a top hat is absurd. Life is cruel and tragic in the realest of senses, and by no means do I believe that is only true of human life.

But I am no proselytist, and do not wish to convince others to share my views. Unfortunately, Life all too often accomplishes that all by itself.