PDA

View Full Version : Surrealist Film

Nirvana In Karma
06-13-2016, 02:15 PM
A general discussion of the genre, including directors, literature dedicated to the subject, etc.

ChildofOldLeech
06-13-2016, 03:03 PM
To begin with, I'd strongly recommend Surrealism and Film by the always reliable J.H. Matthews (probably the most perceptive American critic of surrealism of the 20th century) and The Shadow and Its Shadow: Surrealist Writings on the Cinema edited by Paul Hammond, which collects the surrealists' own writings on film from the the beginnings of the movement through 2000; both make for essential reading on the subject.

ToALonelyPeace
06-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Though nobody officially designates it as surrealist, I am sure A Page of Madness was at least influenced by surrealism.

(I can't find trailer, so I have to post the full movie)

A Page of Madness / 狂った一頁 (1926) - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
06-14-2016, 12:36 AM
- When discussing surrealist film, I think it is important to differentiate between those films made by individuals who were, so to speak, 'official' surrealists - that is, counted as members of the surrealist movement, from those films made by directors whose vision independently paralleled the surrealists, those that were considered surrealist 'in spite of themselves' (as the first generation surrealists interpreted Peter Ibbetson and other films made by major studios), or more contemporary or obscure works where 'surrealist' is ultimately the only proper descriptor. In the first category, one can place the films of the best-known surrealist directors such as Luis Bunuel and Jan Svankmajer, and those less well-known in the english-speaking world like Nelly Kaplan or Raul Ruiz; in the next can go the films of Georges Franju or perhaps Last Year at Marienbad (which inspired a major debate between surrealists at the time); the next referred to ostensibly 'mainstream' films possessing a surrealist ethos, which ranged from film noir to Charlie Chaplin, while the last category varies rather based on personal perspective - I for example would argue that a number of low-budget horror films from the '60's and '70s can be considered (inadvertently?) surrealist; the oeuvres of Rollin, Fulci, and Franco for example, or such films as Malatesta's Carnival of Blood or Death Bed: The Bed that Eats. For my money, the most successful authentically surrealist filmmakers are not officially surrealists; the Brothers Quay, who while have never identified themselves by this designation, share an outlook shaped by 'marvelous' or (proto-) surrealist influences (Kafka, Schulz, Walser, Ghelderode, Svankmajer, etc.), and whose work stands as the most genuine depictions of internal existence captured on celluloid.

(On the latter subject, I can recommend several volumes on the lives and works of the Quay Brothers; the first, The Quay Brothers' Universum, serves as a general introduction to their body of work, while the other, Suzanne Buchan's The Quay Brothers: Into a Metaphysical Playroom, provides much more in depth critical analysis.)

bendk
06-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Ben Wheatley's A Field in England is probably more psychedelic than surreal, but it might qualify. A unique and memorable film.

A Field In England Official US Release Trailer (2014) - Ben Wheatley Horror Movie HD - YouTube

ToALonelyPeace
06-14-2016, 02:12 AM
I've only seen Bunuel The Phantom of Liberty where the most memorable scene involves toilets. Though I plan to watch The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie soon, what would you say are his seminal works?

ChildofOldLeech
06-14-2016, 02:18 AM
- After the films you named, I'd go with Un Chien Andalou, L'Age d'Or, The Exterminating Angel, Simon of the Desert, and I guess That Obscure Object of Desire; the latter is probably Bunuel at his most accessible, while Age d'Or can be likely considered the most 'purely' surrealist of his films.

Nirvana In Karma
06-14-2016, 04:12 AM
- When discussing surrealist film, I think it is important to differentiate between those films made by individuals who were, so to speak, 'official' surrealists - that is, counted as members of the surrealist movement, from those films made by directors whose vision independently paralleled the surrealists, those that were considered surrealist 'in spite of themselves' (as the first generation surrealists interpreted Peter Ibbetson and other films made by major studios), or more contemporary or obscure works where 'surrealist' is ultimately the only proper descriptor.

This lack of distinction, I think, has muddied the public's understanding of what "surreal" actually is in a historical context; in the colloquial it seems to have become a catch-all adjective for anything merely strange or uncanny but not necessarily surreal in the traditional sense.

Nirvana In Karma
06-14-2016, 04:15 AM
Un Chien Andalou (1929), de Luis Buñuel - YouTube

Luis Buñuel or (1930) - YouTube

miguel1984
06-14-2016, 06:10 AM
This is one of my favorites:

The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) (Hands of Ruin soundtrack) - YouTube

Nirvana In Karma
06-14-2016, 01:11 PM
This short film, while a product of the Dada movement, is still worth a watch since Dada is the precursor to Surrealism.
Fernand Leger - Ballet mecanique (1924) - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
06-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Malatestas Carnival of Blood (1973) - Out For a Walk - YouTube

Robert Adam Gilmour
06-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for that clip, I've saw that film available recently and I only found trailers for other 70s films with similar titles that didn't look as good.
I'd really like to see this.

Nude For Satan is quite surreal, not a great film, it has a classic bad movie moment but it's got an impressive atmosphere in many parts and gorgeous soundtrack. Perfect film to doze off to pleasantly.
Or you could just listen to the soundtrack, I believe this is most of it
Nude For Satan - YouTube

Sad Marsh Ghost
06-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Vampyros Lesbos (1971) Trailer - YouTube

No irony here. This film is wonderful. Jess Franco at his best was a fine surrealist filmmaker.

Nirvana In Karma
06-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Though nobody officially designates it as surrealist, I am sure A Page of Madness was at least influenced by surrealism.

(I can't find trailer, so I have to post the full movie)

A Page of Madness / 狂った一 (1926) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1QqrFbHvo)

I just finished the film and, albeit very difficult to follow, is very evocative. Thanks for the recommendation.

A televised discussion on the film.

A Page Of Madness - Discussion - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
06-14-2016, 04:41 PM
- "I beg you, learn to see 'bad' films; they are sometimes sublime." - Ado Kyrou, "Le Surrealisme au Cinema."

DEATH BED: THE BED THAT EATS a Film by George Barry HD Clip | Cult Epics - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
06-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Scenes D Art 1963 Judex Real Georges Franju - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
06-15-2016, 01:31 AM
Jan Svankmajers Alice - Bonecreatures - YouTube

Nirvana In Karma
06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
I had actually never seen anything by Svankmajer. Thanks, ChildofOldLeech.

Here's one I just found that's worth sharing. Class struggle as lunch.
Yan Svankmajer Lunch - YouTube

Nirvana In Karma
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Svankmajer on surrealism.
On surrealism - YouTube

Robert Adam Gilmour
07-24-2016, 02:19 PM
ChildOfOldLeech- Thanks, I really enjoyed Malatesta's Carnival Of Blood, it's a new favourite. I love it when one vampire describes another as "too evil".