PDA

View Full Version : Religion and Spam...

Alarm Agent
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, haven't been here often, but it's nothing personal.
Actually i was lured back here by a private message that was sent to me by someone named Patricia (obviously a spammer with zero posts) trying to sell Buddhism as the ultimate Religion ( I am a convinced Atheist, and my Atheism also includes Buddhism)
This is the message that was sent:
Hi,I'm new here, how's it going?"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein---Patricia Patricia (http://patricia.hub.io)

Maybe you take care of people using your fourm as a means of spreading spam.

yellowish haze
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
These spammers must be very selective. I am a member here as long as you... even a bit longer and never received any spam.

Not Available
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I got the same message...

I replied that Buddha would have written horror.

alec...

candy
04-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I received the same message and thought upon first reading that it was just a new member who didn't know how to format correctly and that was supposed to be her signature quote. I replied to her with a welcome and I hoped she enjoyed the forum. I haven't heard anything more from her. Here I thought I was special and she singled me out to introduce her self. Well, Damn!!!

yellowish haze
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry! looks like they are not that selective after all.:cool:

adam
04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Yep, I got it, too.

Mr. D.
04-25-2008, 03:48 PM
I too recieved the message from Patricia. It was the same message as the others. It seemed somewhat odd to me, but I replied politely and have not heard a thing since I sent my reply. Is she legit?

Mr. D.

Dr. Bantham
04-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Surprisingly, this is a common tact and Patricia is the second such offender to this site. Our Buddhist Spammer has just been banished to the eternal void to further contemplate the virtues of enlightenment versus respect. It seems that poor communication skills can beget karmic retribution. The soul has been embodied and the body has been cleansed.

G. S. Carnivals
04-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I did not receive this PM. candy first told me about it at work yesterday. Later, I found that I had a PM from a member who had never posted or previously communicated with me. He was concerned about whether Patricia's PM was spam or not. He included a transcript of what Patricia had sent him. When I got home from work, I sent him this via PM:

"I didn't check out Patricia's site until I got home from work. Nothing but a stark list of links. She is heavily into meditation, vegetarianism, Buddhism, and the like. Although she's 'selling' nothing more than ideas, the unsolicited offer of such is technically, I guess, a type of spam. It's still intrusive and possibly offensive. I suspect good intentions, however. She should introduce her interests and beliefs via posting in appropriate threads on the Forum. My detective work on the domain abbreviation in her web address (.io) reveals that she lives in the British Indian Ocean Territory. Stolen from Wikipedia:
The British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom situated in the Indian Ocean, halfway between Africa and Indonesia. The territory comprises the six atolls of the Chagos Archipelago with over 1,000 individual islands.
The largest island is Diego Garcia, the site of a joint military facility of the United Kingdom and the United States.

Did you send your concerns to Dr. Bantham as well? He makes the bottom-line calls in matters such as this."

Since Patricia has been banned from TLO, this really is neither here nor there. I confess. I just love to relate anecdotes. You may go on with your lives now.

Ascrobius
04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
I, too, received that odd solicitation, if you want to call it that, from that same entity that you mentioned, and in the form of a personal message. I must say, I am always put off by dogma of any kind, from any source, for any reason, and to tell you the truth, I felt it was somewhat intrusive. My policy, with pretty much anything, including information, is that if I want something, I'll ask for it. In other words, don't call us..we'll call you...in other words, when the phone don't ring, you'll know it's me ;)

Tim

max_renn
04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I just received this spam. I agree with Tim's policy :)

-Adam

the_havoc_man
04-26-2008, 04:27 AM
I have to admit that this spam weirded me out in a way. The way that the message was written made me think that my name was an attack on religion and that I should take up buddhism.

ghadis
04-26-2008, 05:26 AM
I recieved the message last August not long after i joined although it was from a member called 'Buddha' not 'Patricia'. To be honest i didn't think anything of it as i took the Einstein quote as a signature not the main message. I guess it can be seen as a kind of spam although Buddhism tends to be one of the less evangelical of religions so it is a bit odd.

Nemonymous
04-26-2008, 06:03 AM
I received it. But as with all spam of that nature, I ignored it and quickly forgot about it.

yellowish haze
04-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Drat! You received it too, des? I am really starting to get worried about my spam.
Gotta talk to Dr. Bantham about this...

Rorschach
04-26-2008, 07:50 AM
hrmm...received a mail with strange text about strange ethics yesterday...hrmmm...gotta do something against it....very shady morals....hrmmm

Bleak&Icy
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Not long after I joined TLO I received a private message from someone calling him/her/itself "buddha." I ignored it, but still it annoyed me. It felt intrusive, and impolite. Surely, I thought, anyone who is familiar with the work of Ligotti would understand the concept of personal space: lovers of Ligotti are generally loners and we do not appreciate an excess of unwarranted familiarity, especially from those of a religious persuasion.

As to the notion that Buddhists are the least intrusive individuals in the world of organised religion--least obtrusive, that is, when it comes to recruiting prospective converts--I have
my doubts. Recently in Australia I have noticed a proliferation of very affluent Buddhist retreats, which offer accommodation, vegetarian delicacies, and instant inner peace. Where all the money comes from to purchase such prime real estate and to erect such gaudily ornate "temples" is a mystery to me. Tax-deductible donations, I suspect.

Still, I recommend the bead curd stewed in a mild curry, served with lightly braised eggplant and fried cashew nuts. (My mother, for her birthday a number of years ago, asked me to take her to one of these new temples for lunch, and I have to say the cuisine was lovely.):p

Alarm Agent
04-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I really want to say this is a great forum and i should come here more often.
But since Mr. Ligottis Works are rare and sparse i sometimes forget about him.
As for our Buddhist Spammer, she or he or whatever seems at least to provide some entertainment value.
Currently I am reading 'God is not Great' by Chr. Hitchens, a good read and a voice of reason in a world that seems to go back to Religious insanity (not only Islam) but even here in 'secular europe'. I mean i don't mind people 'living their faith' if they leave me alone but if it's contaminating society and politics, its no good.

G. S. Carnivals
04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I have just noticed that all members who reported receipt of the offending Private Message are either Acolytes or Mannikins. No reports from Mystics, Chymists, our current lone Grimscribe, or the Town Managers. Get 'em while they're young? :eek:, :eek:, and :eek:!

Dr. Bantham
04-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I have just noticed that all members who reported receipt of the offending Private Message are either Acolytes or Mannikins. No reports from Mystics, Chymists, our current lone Grimscribe, or the Town Managers. Get 'em while they're young? :eek:, :eek:, and :eek:!This is a common tactic, as the messages are pasted into batches and anyone having administrator, moderator or implied authority is skipped. The board was not hacked, but instead a bogus registration was opened to allow manual messaging. Since they typically trawl through the list alphabetically, members near the end of the alphabet might not have received a message. This particular message is being proliferated verbatim throughout internet forums, with no response or interaction otherwise. To further clarify the reason for my ban, it was based on the method - not the message. Privacy of members is to be respected, first and foremost.

Nemonymous
04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Get 'em while they're young?

:D

Bleak&Icy
04-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I have just noticed that all members who reported receipt of the offending Private Message are either Acolytes or Mannikins. No reports from Mystics, Chymists, our current lone Grimscribe, or the Town Managers. Get 'em while they're young? :eek:, :eek:, and :eek:!

Almost fell off my chair laughing when I read this. Could have broken my atheist neck! And I, a poor impressionable Mannikin!

Spotbowserfido2
04-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I like Spam. The jellylike stuff one sees upon opening a tin is excellent on toast. And, for the record, I just returned home from church... :p

Nemonymous
04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I like Spam.

Spam in love:

http://www.natlauzon.com/images/spam.jpg

actualwolf
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Maintaining well-appointed retreat centers (however gaudy) is a far cry from knocking on people's doors during dinner or ranting about damnation in public parks---behaviors we've all witnessed on the part of evangelical Christians.

That said, Buddhism was the original evangelical religion. Shakyamuni amassed thousands upon thousands of followers in his lifetime basically by going from town to town and having his emissaries speak to whoever would listen.

Thankfully, Buddhism has mostly moved away from proselytism---at least in the western hemisphere. This makes "Patricia"'s PM seem particularly obnoxious.

Not long after I joined TLO I received a private message from someone calling him/her/itself "buddha." I ignored it, but still it annoyed me. It felt intrusive, and impolite. Surely, I thought, anyone who is familiar with the work of Ligotti would understand the concept of personal space: lovers of Ligotti are generally loners and we do not appreciate an excess of unwarranted familiarity, especially from those of a religious persuasion.

As to the notion that Buddhists are the least intrusive individuals in the world of organised religion--least obtrusive, that is, when it comes to recruiting prospective converts--I have
my doubts. Recently in Australia I have noticed a proliferation of very affluent Buddhist retreats, which offer accommodation, vegetarian delicacies, and instant inner peace. Where all the money comes from to purchase such prime real estate and to erect such gaudily ornate "temples" is a mystery to me. Tax-deductible donations, I suspect.

Still, I recommend the bead curd stewed in a mild curry, served with lightly braised eggplant and fried cashew nuts. (My mother, for her birthday a number of years ago, asked me to take her to one of these new temples for lunch, and I have to say the cuisine was lovely.):p

Bleak&Icy
04-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Actualwolf, your point concerning those who rant "about damnation in public places" is particularly relevant... because earlier today I was subjected to a rant. I was weaving through the city traffic, minding my own business, as they say, and breathing clouds of steam in the crisp, wintry air, when I was harangued. Harangue is not a word I have the opportunity to use very often, so I use it here: I was harangued by a borderline sociopath who was carrying an enormous sign attached to a long pole. At the top of the sign, hand-painted in a creepy script, was the following: PSYCHIATRY IS HUMANITIES MOST EVIL CRIME!! [His spelling]

Oh Christ, I thought, as the borderline sociopath made a beeline through the crowd and singled me out. Oh Christ, a Scientologist! Perhaps he could smell the pharmacopoeia that is my blood, whatever... He harangued me, and then he bade me read his ludicrous sign. Let me describe this deliriously nonsensical sign in greater detail. Beneath the hysterical title was a veritable essay: at least two thousand tiny hand-painted words, written in a tiny evil creepy cursive script. The sociopath cornered me with his HUGE sign and bade me read. I refused. He SHOOK the sign like Thor shaking his mighty hammer. I lit a cigarette, and looked pleadingly at the passers-by, who ignored us...

Eventually I escaped to tell this tale, but not before he stuffed a pamphlet into my trembling hand. I'll take the Buddhists any day...

paeng
04-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Given oil, food, mineral, and water shortages, increasing debt and a possible global credit crunch, increasing military strength in Russia and China, the threat of epidemics and even a pandemic, and global warming, perhaps we will soon enter a new Middle Ages.

G. S. Carnivals
02-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I like Spam.

Spam in love:

http://www.natlauzon.com/images/spam.jpg
"He tossed the tin of Spam into the air, caught it with one hand, but on the second throw lost it among the reeds. Hunting about in the thick grass, he at last found it near the water's edge, and decided to eat the chopped ham before it slipped through his hands for good."
J. G. Ballard - Empire of the Sun

Dr. Bantham
02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
"He tossed the tin of Spam into the air, caught it with one hand, but on the second throw lost it among the reeds. Hunting about in the thick grass, he at last found it near the water's edge, and decided to eat the chopped ham before it slipped through his hands for good."
J. G. Ballard - Empire of the SunYour knack for quotation association has surpassed the realm of the uncanny, Phil. You should either seek counseling or have a go at giving Bartlett a run for his money. You are progressively cross-indexing the human genome of consciousness, and it scares me witless.

http://www.bartleby.com/people/BartlettJon-129x176.gif|"I have gathered a posie of other menís flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own."{br}{br}John Bartlett

Your research, however, weaves a maddening tapestry of logic from these primordial threads. Loom of madness, weave!