PDA

View Full Version : Reading Ligotti at the horror orgy...

Bleak&Icy
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
After listening to a delirious Iggy Pop reading Poe's "Tell-Tale Heart" (see the "Closed on Account of Rabies" thread), I asked myself: If I could hear any actor or musician reciting a Ligotti tale, I would choose...

Imagine, then, that we are attending a Nemonymous-style horror orgy. The first tale to be read, my personal favourite, is "The Bungalow House." Reading the tale in his gravelly, broken voice is Michael Wincott (the actor who played the bad guy in the first Crow movie).

So, which actor or musician would you choose, and which tale?

Severini
05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I think I wouldn´t choose a tale..I would pick the poem that closes "Les Fleurs" and Mark Hollis (talk talk vocalist) to recite it.

Bleak&Icy
05-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Nick Cave reads "Dr. Locrian's Asylum"!

Nemonymous
05-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Imagine, then, that we are attending a Nemonymous-style horror orgy.

If you want me to attend your horror orgy, I would require being allowed to read aloud a Ligotti story myself. I was always the one who read aloud during these sessions in the sixties. :-)
des

Bleak&Icy
05-18-2008, 06:38 AM
If you want me to attend your horror orgy, I would require being allowed to read aloud a Ligotti story myself. I was always the one who read aloud during these sessions in the sixties. :-)
des

No horror orgy would be complete without a reading from the Weirdmonger... But I am afraid you will have to fight Iggy Pop for the stage. He has just agreed to read "The Chymist"!
Matthew

Bleak&Icy
05-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Good grief, Tom Waits is on board and he wants to read "The Frolic". I have the feeling he's going to do it in Renfield mode!

Kevin
05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Arthur Brown reading 'Purity.'

actualwolf
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
William S. Burroughs (dead though he be) reading 'The Nightmare Network.'

He did a really ripping reading of 'The Masque of the Red Death' for a Lawrence, KS radio station in the 90s . . .

G. S. Carnivals
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Since actualwolf has introduced the dear departed into this thread, I think that readings of "Nethescurial" by Humphrey Bogart and "Mad Night of Atonement" by James Mason would be quite pleasing and surreal...

Bleak&Icy
05-20-2008, 12:47 AM
You've invited ghouls to our reading party! Re-animated corpses! I'm willing to accept that the re-animated corpses in question have great reading voices, but they also have questionable manners, poor hygiene, and a tendency to go "bad" -- that is, to turn against their re-animators.

Very well, then. I propose we re-animate Bela Lugosi and have him read "This Degenerate Little Town".

Odalisque
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Imagine, then, that we are attending a Nemonymous-style horror orgy.

des

You should certainly allow Nemonymous to read - he is a superb reader aloud of tales of darkness and dread. My experience suggests that Nemonymous should select what he is to read. You won't go far wrong that way.:confused:

Nemonymous
05-24-2008, 04:44 AM
My experience suggests that Nemonymous should select what he is to read.

Thanks, Oddy. I choose 'The Red Tower' to read aloud. I just need some burgundy and gorgonzola,