PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating and disgusting New Yorker article

actualwolf
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
In which a woman compulsively scratches her scalp until she actually worries away her skull and damages her brain.

Annals of Medicine: The Itch: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/30/080630fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all)

Full of interesting information regarding phantom limbs, phenomenal perception versus "reality" and quotations from Dante.

G. S. Carnivals
06-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I cannot even comprehend being cursed with such a malady.

"And now he imagined the feeling of death as one previously beyond his imagination. This feeling was simply that of an eternally prolonged itching sensation."
Thomas Ligotti - "Death without End"

Bleak&Icy
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
'But her fingernails would always find a way to her flesh, especially while she slept. One morning, after she was awakened by her bedside alarm, she sat up and, she recalled, “this fluid came down my face, this greenish liquid.” She pressed a square of gauze to her head and went to see her doctor again. M. showed the doctor the fluid on the dressing. The doctor looked closely at the wound. She shined a light on it and in M.’s eyes. Then she walked out of the room and called an ambulance. Only in the Emergency Department at Massachusetts General Hospital, after the doctors started swarming, and one told her she needed surgery now, did M. learn what had happened. She had scratched through her skull during the night—and all the way into her brain.'

:eek: OMG. Shades of Dr. Dublanc and his egg-shaped pills!

Ilsa
06-27-2008, 04:18 AM
:eek:
oh my god....that was severe!
It reminded me of a documentary I saw some years ago about a woman repeatedly taking off her hair one by one with a little pair of eyebrow tweezers. That is what she would do all day long....for years...

Odalisque
06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just that...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

bendk
06-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Puts me in mind of Tracy Lett's play "Bug." Recently adapted to the screen by William Friedkin.

One of my friends took an elective course in college probably 20 years ago about psychological illnesses and he described a case almost exactly like this one. This case is extreme, but not new. Also, I am not convinced that these cases are purely mental illness. I saw a documentary on Morgellon's disease (a disease that displays similar symptoms) and many of these people strike me as being psychologically sound. Not to mention the fact that they do have mysterious fibers growing out of their bodies! Something is amiss in our environment.

Ilsa
06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Fibers?????
tell us more!
I loooove freaks! :p