PDA

View Full Version : Things that happen only in darkness.

barrywood
06-02-2005, 09:03 AM
There's certain things done only in sunlight, example sunbathe. Also, flies only fly during daytime I think.

I'm wondering what can only be done in the darkness. Bats fly at night, scooping and flapping I believe, sleeping upside down in damp caves during the daytime (correct me, please, should I be wrong) -- like satisfied vampires in caskets hidden away from sunbeams.

Surely there's lots of stuff that happen only when the sky is black and most humans are sleeping. Do snakes crawl at night, for instance.

I'm giving thought to a new short story.

Dr. Zirk
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I once had a summer job working at night in a big field, and I learned that many species of moths (including the really big ones) come out starting at dusk, and spend all night feeding. I think they're on the same basic schedule as bats.

The job was a research project on plant/animal interactions, and we spent the night with portable tape recorders and spelunker-style head lamps running around in a field of Nightshade, tracking moths as they fed on (pollinated) the plants. So that's another thing that happens at night - biology students chasing moths around and recording data on their feeding habits, all for the good of science.

ElHI
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Yes, I guess a lot of animals are only active during the night. But most of them "could" do the things they do then in daylight...

Nothing comes to my mind as only happening in darknes, but there must be something. You've really set my mind going Barry, I may spent a while thinking about this in my bed at night.

beakripped
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
It seems to me that cats are more active at night rather than day. And parties... parties during sunlight suck; I won't even begin to make my way to a party until it starts to get dark, but I usually leave parties early, so I can enjoy the night by myself.

Has anyone noticed any differences in terms of creativity? Especially after midnight? Maybe it's the lack of sun or the pull of the moon that affects the brain? I had a discussion with a few complete strangers last week during which we addressed this issue. One person claimed he doesn't even bother to write or paint during the day because to him it's useless. My view on the subject isn't necessarily that... dramatic (is that the word I'm looking for?) but I certainly related to his points.

P.

The Silent One
06-02-2005, 06:05 PM
It seems to me that cats are more active at night rather than day. And parties... parties during sunlight suck; I won't even begin to make my way to a party until it starts to get dark, but I usually leave parties early, so I can enjoy the night by myself.

Has anyone noticed any differences in terms of creativity? Especially after midnight? Maybe it's the lack of sun or the pull of the moon that affects the brain? I had a discussion with a few complete strangers last week during which we addressed this issue. One person claimed he doesn't even bother to write or paint during the day because to him it's useless. My view on the subject isn't necessarily that... dramatic (is that the word I'm looking for?) but I certainly related to his points.

P.
Very true, although my attitude toward block parties (and most others) is much like the narrator's opinion of formal ones in "The Physic"