PDA

View Full Version : is Empire of Satanis "Lovecraftian" ???

darrick
06-05-2005, 06:53 PM
the Dunwich Herald reviewed my rpg Empire of Satanis. it was fairly positive although for some reason they took issue with its Lovecraftian influence...?

review: http://home.comcast.net/~esox99/review_jun05.html

so i humbly open it up to you guys... besides using the actual names like Cthulhu, Yog Sothoth, the Necronomicon, etc... what makes something Lovecraftian? and for that matter, what makes something intrinsically Ligottian - especially since i consider EoS to be Ligotti inspired as well...

D

The Silent One
06-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Some things have an air about them that is simply Lovecraftian. It is an ideal of cosmic indifference, where the benevolent view of Holy Trinity is a divine joke by the so-called saviour and his almighty daemon masters; where the most horrible aspects of our world overwhelm us so that we either go mad through contemplation, try to avoid these forces and fail miserably, or accept them and serve said monstrosities; where humanity sees the universe and lacks the arcane wisdom to see it in full, let alone understand the gestalt. I don't think being a creature with a totally alien mindset is truly Lovecraftian, or even fully possible. You have your own style in itself.

darrick
06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
hey guys, how's it going? i thought this was hilarious and cool so i'm posting the sucker:

in other news, i'm trying to procure a more comprehensive review of Empire of Satanis: http://www.lulu.com/content/113758
at rpg.net by posting in their forum... low and behold, one of my most ardent fans decided to sing me praises. i'm copying and pasting the glory that is his impression of my ouvre. ah, there's nothing quite like a good review!

"I don't care for the subject matter, nor do I consider it innovative. It takes the worst aspects of Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness, Rifts, Senzar, Synnibar and FATAL and smashes them together. I find it appalling in that 13-year-old misogynist-dweeb-future mass killer way. It reeks of the worst kind of sexism and escapist violence that the RPG community should seek to *avoid*--because it just proves our critics' arguments 110%.

The editing in the document is terrible. Did you take wannabe dork as a second language? Bad English, bad spelling, and that "I raped the thesaurus to look smart" ambiance. Yes it is "unleashing a kaleidoscope of nightmarish visitations of infernal damnation" but not for the reasons you want it to. Bad... bad... bad....

Probably the biggest fault of the entire premise is I get zero "alien culture" feel. The characters, while exalted as non-human, are all too human. But the worst, most exaggerated, 13 year-old mustache wranglin', scenery-chewin' I'm soooo eeevvvil kind of human. Jack Palance would be oh-so at home here, except even he has some standards of decency and restraint.

About halfway through the document I began wondering for how many years did your parents beat you and lock you in a closet. At least I hope that's what happened, because anyone that considers raping tentacle flesh hook girls and exterminating entire races as "entertainment" had better have an excuse larger than Mary Jane Rottencrotch wouldn't go to the G.D. prom with me.

The sad thing is for so obviously wanting to be over the top and shocking the game isn't. It's just limp. It's less of a game and more of a glimpse into the author's internal fantasy psyche. Please, by all means, get professional help. You need it.

And please, no more self-made artwork. Please."

hey, stuff happens. remember fellow creative artistes, you may get poor reviews, but they are probably nothing like this so make a joyous noise unto the Lord.

dear Satanis, that was awesome...
D

darrick
07-23-2005, 03:40 PM
what's up? a little news... my little dark roleplaying game "empire of satanis" is going to be published as a big, hard back, full color book spring/summer 2006. it'll just be called: Satanis

i'm going to be doing the majority of the writing (setting, rules, short fiction, etc.) as well as artwork. however, i would take submissions of Satanis-like fiction (ask me if your unsure) and weird, dark, alien, demonic, surreal, horror artwork. i'm financing the publishing all on my own, so there won't be much money available to the doomed souls who contribute. although you'd get credit, of course.

also, here is a new (and favorable) review of empire of satanis. at rpg.net: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11412.phtml

so please p.m. me or my email address is on my website too: http://www.CultofCthulhu.net

thanks, Darrick Dishaw