PDA

View Full Version : David Cronenberg

MorganScorpion
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I have long been a fan of the movies of David Cronenberg, though I probably won't be bothering with his latest two.

His view of destructive medicine, insane science, fractured reality and alienated sex is somehow very attractive. From Marilyn Chambers in "Rabid", through to the virtual reality horror of "Existenz", his relentless negativity always cheers me up.

Who can forget Darryl Revok orgasmically exploding people's heads in "Scanners"; or James Woods inserting a video into his stomach, or Jeff Goldblum's "insect politician" speech in "The Fly"?

I personally would love to see Cronenberg return to his horror roots and throw aside all this "real life" (yeah right) stuff he's been doing lately.

Julian Karswell
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Yet my favourite Cronenberg film is 'Eastern Promises'. It's almost as good as 'Sexy Beast' or 'Lucky Number Slevin'.

YouTube - Eastern Promises Official Trailer!!!!!!!!!

unknown
08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't know...I enjoy both sides of Cronenberg. One of my criticisms of artists like David Lynch and Mark Z Danielewski (two people whom I admire and whose works I enjoy) is that, in my opinion, my idea of a challenge to them would be to create an accessible "normal" story. Lynch somewhat did this with the tear-jerker The Elephant Man. Cronenberg's last two movies were well written stories, in my opinion, that showcased the director's versatility

C. M. Peck
08-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I always give him a chance but I'm rarely that impressed. I did like Naked Lunch a lot. But I just got The Brood today...not great. I've got Videodrome on the way. I hear it's a classic. We shall see.