PDA

View Full Version : Nothing frightens me anymore

Julian Karswell
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Nothing frightens me anymore.

I'm losing interest in films and books which once frightened me. Only real horrors frighten me, which aren't the same, because they are theoretical, and statistically only happen to other people.

Sure, there are things that will gross me out, or subtly clever variations upon themes and ideas which once had me quaking under the covers, but in terms of sheer childish terror, I haven't been scared for twenty years.

Fear, sex and death are the only things worth exciting over. Everything else is a less visceral emotional response. I want to feel the cold blade of a razor on my throat; the jaw-dropping horror of the flying bed in 'The Exorcist'; or the wild thrill of a hurried sexual liasion in the stationary cupboard with a married woman.

Am I approaching middle age, or is it possible to exhaust all earthly pleasures within twenty years? Only music seems to excite me; new music and the very occasional piece of startling new fiction.

Horror fiction is beginning to bore me. It is moribund, incestuous, predictable, and ultimately, boring.

99% of what I read and watch is nostalgia-driven. I've read it before, I've watched it before, etcetera etcetera.

I tire of the future because I've seen it all before.

JK

Julian Karswell
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
In fact, so bored have I become that I propose to sign off from TLO for a month at least. I'd rather weed my garden and attempt the washing up than invent something interesting to say about Roman Polanski or L P Hovercraft.

[Muffled cheers and rippled applause from the thrupenny row at the back.]

So long, and thanks for all the fish. I have been delightful, you have been you.

JK

G. S. Carnivals
11-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I tire of the future because I've seen it all before.

JK
The Dead Shape of Past Things to Come by Isaac Asimov and H. G. Wells. Well worth rereading...

Halloween Harlequin
11-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Often losing their perspective, scientists can be obliviously silly. We used to watch nuclear blasts in the Nevada dessert through lead sunglasses. The thought that the Hadron Collider could become unstable and create a tiny black hole that would expand and suck the earth down into infinite nothingness is kind of scary to me. :eek:

Aeron
11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
What about joining the army? Nothing more fear inducing than war.
YouTube- Björk ft. Thom Yorke - I've seen it all

Halloween Harlequin
11-06-2009, 11:50 PM
And . . . of course, 'No Belief Or Body Of Laws Will Guard You. '

:eek:

dante1991
11-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I have yet to come across anything that scares me as much as my nightmares and night terrors. Hence my continuing search. When I find that, I don't know what I'll do next. I only know I won't start reading romance novels.

Ascrobius
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
My birth, once it became apparent to me, became and continues to be the most frightening thing I can conceive of. Conscious awareness, existentially, is the alpha and the omega of my fear.

Everything else is just window dressing...

With Strength I Burn
11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Fear, sex and death are the only things worth exciting over.

No.

Milvus
11-08-2009, 01:25 AM
May I suggest living in a completely foreign land as a way to broaden one's horizons to all those who claim that they're bored with life or have "seen it all"? You cannot possibly experience everything in life (fears or otherwise) if you remain in the same place forever. In my experience, there is nothing to shake a person out of a sense of complacency and a false belief that they have done it all than a healthy dose of genuine culture shock. Good luck!

paeng
11-08-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm writing from the Philippines, where there are multiple concerns, including rising food and fuel prices, the effects of massive floods, major declines in exports and job generation, and threats of epidemics. I am told that similar problems have been taking place in many countries, from recent swine flu outbreaks in Ukraine to increasing unemployment in the U.S.

In some ways, some of the points raised in another thread are taking place, such as the second wave from swine flu, reports of flat or declining oil production levels, further weakening of various economies, and so on.

Evans
11-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Horror fiction is beginning to bore me. It is moribund, incestuous, predictable, and ultimately, boring.

It is some what paradoxal but I don't think reading supernatural horror fiction for the purpose of being horrified is actualy the best way to approach it. It seems far more fun to read it for the purpose of being morbidly interested.

As for your complaints about it incestuous what is the actual problem with the genre not being a democracy? I would rather with have to bear a genre where we admit an author is good because they are important rather than one where we have to admit an author is good because Jimmy the critic has pompusly forced his likes on everyone else (often with a lot of poorly concealed social agendas as well)

Oww and you owe the world a book before you start running off to weed gardens.

qcrisp
11-09-2009, 11:15 AM
From an e-mail someone sent me:

I think the reason [Clive Barker] doesn't get discussed on all these message boards and everything is because he changed his style a lot and wrote many different kinds of books; I'm sure if he'd written the exact same book twenty times they'd all think he was a genius.

This is the basic problem that I have with the 'horror genre'. Some people think it is more authentic for people to do the same routine over and over again. On the whole (it is ultimately a case by case thing), I tend to find this less authentic. And much more boring.

What's more, in a world where the apocalypse is looking daily less like a paranoid fantasy, and more and more like simple reality, we still have mediocre people in charge of the media, making sure that only mediocrity gets disseminated, scared to take any kind of chance at all. I think it's this pathological mediocrity (the mediocrity of vested interests) that scares me the most. They don't seem to realise that their interests are doomed, anyway.

Oh well, I suppose it's the same for all of us, to some degree. The thought of having to relocate to Mars might horrify me because it would disrupt my writing routine.