PDA

View Full Version : Scariest thing to ever to happen to you.

barrywood
06-28-2005, 09:14 PM
When I was fourteen, I used to go to card parties in the country alone and by foot, and had to cross a lonely bridge on a dirt, dusty road and then pass an old cemetery. I smoked the odd cigarette at that time but so that no one would see me, I sneaked into the graveyard to smoke one this particularly full-moon evening. Everything was quiet -- too quiet. All I heard was the murmur of frogs from a nearby swamp.

Well, I lost my footing and fell onto some plastic. I started to slide into an open hole but caught myself just in time. Apparently, the grave had been opened for a funeral early the next day. It was the scariest thing that has ever to happen to me.

What scary things have happened to you?

unknown
06-28-2005, 10:24 PM
probably when I had my bike accident and cracked my helmet and bike frame...very easily could've killed myself.

barrywood
06-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I think I remember you telling me about that in chat one day. Your teeth were dangling and the dentist shoved them back up into your gums, correct?

beakripped
06-29-2005, 09:43 AM
The spookiest experience I've had was when I was fourteen or fifteen years old. A friend and I were looking for snakes in a forest not too far from our houses - this was in the afternoon on a summer day. We'd been in the woods for perhaps an hour when my friend asked if I saw a bag or cloth hanging in a tree, but when I looked I saw something weaving through the branches, something like a small white cloud. At first we thought it could be mist or fog but it seemed to move of its own free will. Since it was so high up and since this happened many years ago I can't give a fair estimate of its size, but I recall thinking it appeared larger than any bird I'd seen in our neighborhood.

We watched it for at least a quarter of an hour, after which time it faded. If it was merely some trick of the sun then it was some trick!

I haven't seen it since. I've gone to look for it, whatever it was, without luck. However, another friend of mine claims to have seen something very similar. He told his story to me before he'd heard mine, or that I even had a story. His encounter was more recent (three years ago) and three other people saw it. From what I recall it happened at night: He and the other three were crossing through a field near a ravine. One of them saw a "vague white thing" like a cloud passing over the ground and alerted the others. It went across the field, towards the ravine where it disappeared behind the trees, but for a few minutes they saw sporadic white flashes, "like a weak camera flash." All four of them said it was the size of a person, but wasn't shaped like one.

These could have been mere hallucinations, as I'm prone to "seeing things," however I usually know when I'm hallucinating due to a certain quality of image that I receive (anyone who's ingested mushrooms, LSD, peyote, etc will understand what I mean). I'd like to state that the thing I saw was first seen by my friend who ISN'T prone to hallucinations and is very sane. I've had hallucinations that've terrified me, even though I knew the experience was a subjective one... This was possibly the spookiest thing I've seen (that I can recall) and instead of trying aimlessly to define it I've left the verdict open...

P.

yellowish haze
06-29-2005, 10:14 AM
When I was 9 i went through a car-train accident. Of course if I were in the train it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. My mother was driving me to my friend with our Opel Corsa. When crossing the railway the car skidded a little so that we ended up right in the middle of the tracks. Hmm, too bad my mom got nervous and the engine went dead :? !. I still remeber turning my head towards a snow-while lansdcape in the middle of nowhere and screaming in unison with the sound of the howling horn nervously pushed by the engine driver. I think those were the longest ten seconds of my life. I cannot describe it as "scary". It was a totally paralyzing feeling. It was as if there was nothing to be done to prevent the accident so you just surrender, let everything around you carry out the whole process leading you to your inevitable doom. I can almost remeber thinking: "So this is how the end looks like". Its much different to have a sudden accident then to await one as we did in that car. And I even did not think to open the door and get out, my mother neither. As if we just accepted the destiny (strange isn't it?).

Hopefully, my mother succeeded in turning on the engine and and immediately backed. The train hit the front hood and tear it loose from the rest of the vehicle. A few bruises was all we suffered. Could have been much worse...

unknown
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I think I remember you telling me about that in chat one day. Your teeth were dangling and the dentist shoved them back up into your gums, correct?

yeah...fun times.

beakripped, that does sound creepy. I was in Borders yesterday looking at a Cryptozoology book...it's a book with infamous creatures such as Bigfoot, Loch ness, chupacabra and others. I wonder if that's in there

beakripped
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
It was creepy, but having your teeth dangle, nearly getting hit by a train... you guys've got me beat to a pulp!

P.

bendk
06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
One day, when I was fourteen, my skin started turning red. When I woke up the next day, I was covered in a fine red dust. It was almost Lovecraftian. Also, my pillow was covered in blood from a nosebleed, and my eyeballs had splotches of red in them. I was taken to the doctor for tests. Later that same day, I was rushed to the hospital. I spent the rest of the day as a human pincushion. I don't recommend the bone marrow test. The following morning a doctor came to visit me and told me I could die. And I was literally told: "Don't move." That afternoon, my priest came and performed last rites. A day and a half ago, I was fine! The 'red dust' turned out to be little pools of blood that had surfaced through almost every pore of my body and then dried. To make a long story short, I responded to certain medication. It recurs from time to time, but so far, so good. What I have is 'idiopathic,' which means they don't know what causes it.

Dr. Bantham
06-29-2005, 03:49 PM
One day, when I was fourteen, my skin started turning red. When I woke up the next day, I was covered in a fine red dust. It was almost Lovecraftian. Also, my pillow was covered in blood from a nosebleed, and my eyeballs had splotches of red in them. I was taken to the doctor for tests. Later that same day, I was rushed to the hospital. I spent the rest of the day as a human pincushion. I don't recommend the bone marrow test. The following morning a doctor came to visit me and told me I could die. And I was literally told: "Don't move." That afternoon, my priest came and performed last rites. A day and a half ago, I was fine! The 'red dust' turned out to be little pools of blood that had surfaced through almost every pore of my body and then dried. To make a long story short, I responded to certain medication. It recurs from time to time, but so far, so good. What I have is 'idiopathic,' which means they don't know what causes it.I have one which I was about to post, but who wants to follow up this act? The malady is so horrific that I find myself envious to a certain perverse degree. You are a walking "corpus stigmata" in that your cells periodically resonate with the obscene pitch of nature's machinations, grinding away molecules into decomposition and claiming your body as a "Canvas of the Red Death". Lovecraftian, indeed!

barrywood
06-29-2005, 03:56 PM
That afternoon, my priest came and performed last rites.
That alone is absolutely chilling!

I agree with Dr. Bantham with the rest of this story. I would have freaked right out.

beakripped
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Bendk, that is absolutely brilliant!!! I'm going to assume that there are no photos of you in this condition... What a strange thing to happen, although it sounds more Burroughsian to me than Lovecraftian.

(For over a year, now, I've been struggling with a story about a rust-coloured man...)

P.

bendk
06-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Dr. Bantham,
Your "Canvas of the Red Death" put me in mind of Poe's story, ironically. Can you believe I have never connected the two! I'm probably still in denial. Also, don't let my horror story scare yours off. (I'm a little curious as to your original unedited manuscripts.)

Barry,
When my priest walked in, I knew it boded no good. And, actually, you don't freak out, you go numb.

beakripped,
No, no photos I'm afraid. But I do remember many doctors coming in to look at the curious marvel that had fortunately graced their hospital bed. I like the rust-coloured man idea.

From the Sect of the Idiopathically Afflicted,
bendk

unknown
06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
yeah, I think bendk wins for having the most creepy condition not known to man. I would seriously #### myself if I woke up covered in dried blood.

The New Nonsense
07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
What a great topic. ----Thanks Barry

The scariest thing that ever happened to me occurred when I was about 19. At the time my friends and I used to be "urban explorers". We'd poke around in abandoned houses, factories, asylums..you name it. One night we chose an old abandoned train depot to explore. This depot had two massive silos (at least 5 stories high) crowned by a large crumbling belfry type of structure joining them at the top. This part of the depot was used for loading grain into rail cars in the past. After nearly an hour of searching by candlelight (for the atmosphere), we couldn't find a way up to the belfry. The stairs has long fallen down. Finally we had to practically climb up the side of a wall in order to reach an old rusty ladder. Once at the top I could only see a small portion of the room where the moon shone through a hole in the roof. Most of the room including the floor was shrouded in shadow. There was also a window at the the far end of each side of the room. I passed the candle down the ladder to my friends and walked to the far end of the room so that I could shout down to our "lookout" outside to let him know we'd found a way up. After doing so I started walking back across the room when I happened to look down... I got a closer look at the "floor". I was standing on a wooden beam that was no more than a foot wide. It stretched over the mouth of the silo which had to have been approx 30 feet wide. I had thought the floor was black from grime and dust when in actuality it was a pit, a sheer drop on either side of me. I let out a gasp (as one would expect), and pigeons flew up all around me almost making me lose my balance. I regained a bit of my composure, and slowly edged my way across the remaining length of the span.
Strangely, when I walked to the far window I had walked in a perfectly straight line, and then half way back again. If I had stepped a foot in either direction I would have plummeted to my death. The beam did not waver or sag, so I had no reason to believe that the whole floor was not a solid surface. Once I got out from over the pit I was very shaken to say the least. I can't tell you how shocking the revelation was of discovering what I had thought was a normal floor wasn't at all!
To this day I find it remarkable that I didn't step off that beam. If believed in guardian angels I guess that would be perfect example of divine intervention. Once I got down on ground level my terror was made worse. I was curious to see what was at the bottom of the pit. Morbid curiosity I suppose. Inside was a jumble of broken old farm equipment and tools with many sharp and pointed edges as you can imagine. It would have been a gruesome death, and certainly a closed casket funeral
I still like to haunt old abandoned places, but these days I sacrifice the ambience of candlelight for the safety of a flashlight.

barrywood
07-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Inside was a jumble of broken old farm equipment and tools with many sharp and pointed edges as you can imagine. It would have been a gruesome death, and certainly a closed casket funeral

Wow! Kevin, that's not only an amazing story but bone chilling. Good God! I'm actually shaking. I feel sick.

It definitely would have been a closed casket for the chunks of flesh collected in body bag(s).

Barry

waffles
07-01-2005, 08:40 PM
... The 'red dust' turned out to be little pools of blood that had surfaced through almost every pore of my body and then dried. To make a long story short, I responded to certain medication. It recurs from time to time, but so far, so good. What I have is 'idiopathic,' which means they don't know what causes it.

Wow! This sounds like 24-hour Ebola.

I'm not sure this is the scariest thing (hopefully I've repressed the really scary stuff and something will trigger it causing me to go on a rampage at my place of employment) I've experienced, but when I lived in Kenya I lived in a house that was also used to store grain at the school where I taught. Rats love grain. They also loved using my matress as a trampoline to break their fall as they fell from the rafters (I had no ceiling). I spent my first week there awake all night trying to get the baby rats to sut up. I literally had Rats in the Walls. Mostly, I was afraid of being bitten and catching rabies. The roaches were worse.They were the size of candy bars and had wings. The roaches made me appreciate the rats. When the rats laded on my bed, they had the common courtesy to run around my body. The roaches had no qualms about running across my body - usually my face.

Thanks for asking!

I feel a lot better.

Cheers!

Waff's

Aetherwing
07-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone-

Great topic!

One leaps to mind for me. ABout a month ago, my wife & I were returning home down a road bordered by woods on one side, houses on the other. It was a reasonably moonlit night, with no traffic on the road. As we approached the turnoff to our street, we were both shocked and appalled to see *something* crossing the road.

In the moon-drenched road ahead, glistening in my headlights, a bizarre object, some ten to fifteen feet long and several feet high appeared to be...undulating...across the road! Needless to say, I slammed on the breaks. The only thing I could think, and said aloud, was "What IS that? It looks like the Blob!"

Momentarily, the spell was broken, and the protoplasmic apparition was revealed to be merely a large sheet of poly-plastic being moved by the wind...

Watching for Tsathoggua's worse-than-formless-spawn,
Aether

Doctor Munoz
07-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Hello everyone. More about rats.
Once in my childhood, in the ancient town of Guadix, in Southeast Spain, I was playing in the house of some relatives. A group of adults were talking in the beautiful Andalusian patio while I pushed a toy car around a marble fountain, a common ornament in this sort of courtyard. There was an ominous slit somewhere in the joint of fountain and floor of terra-cotta tiles. Then, in one of my turns, on all fours, I encountered, at a distance of very few inches, the face of a rat, just coming out trough the slit. In the maddening intensity of a second, we looked straight into each other eyes. Then it came a mutual fear so intense that turned us, the rodent and the child, into a sentient unity for a instant. The blurry image I keep from that rat face, thirty years ago, is of a very intelligent animal, with an almost human gaze , which I was able to understand since we shared the same overwhelming feeling.
Then we broke up the fleeting enchantment and run in opposite directions, me to my grandmother's lap, and the rat under a big plant pot on a tripod. My cousin killed it there with an air gun shot although I tried to get a pardon for it. With reckless abandon for public health ( a trait of the Spanish nation) we left the corpse in a small alley opposite the house, and for a couple of days I was able to see the brown, huge, revolting, seemingly naked leather-like body (anyway, thatís what I can recall) from a balcony (the alley in question had a dismal reputation as a makeshift latrine for peasants from the lowlands and gipsies from the cave quarter, so it was wisely avoided by the council sweepers). One day it disappeared, a favor to the family perhaps perpetrated by one of the many stray dogs, I suposse one remarkably feral and hungry.

The Silent One
07-05-2005, 10:36 PM
One day, when I was fourteen, my skin started turning red. When I woke up the next day, I was covered in a fine red dust. It was almost Lovecraftian. Also, my pillow was covered in blood from a nosebleed, and my eyeballs had splotches of red in them. I was taken to the doctor for tests. Later that same day, I was rushed to the hospital. I spent the rest of the day as a human pincushion. I don't recommend the bone marrow test. The following morning a doctor came to visit me and told me I could die. And I was literally told: "Don't move." That afternoon, my priest came and performed last rites. A day and a half ago, I was fine! The 'red dust' turned out to be little pools of blood that had surfaced through almost every pore of my body and then dried. To make a long story short, I responded to certain medication. It recurs from time to time, but so far, so good. What I have is 'idiopathic,' which means they don't know what causes it.I have one which I was about to post, but who wants to follow up this act? The malady is so horrific that I find myself envious to a certain perverse degree. You are a walking "corpus stigmata" in that your cells periodically resonate with the obscene pitch of nature's machinations, grinding away molecules into decomposition and claiming your body as a "Canvas of the Red Death". Lovecraftian, indeed!
"And these holy men, the Red One and the King of Suicides, the Silent One and the Stranger, the Invisible One and the Bard of Death Poems, the Soaring One and the Prince of Madmen, are they truly the blessed of the gods?"
"It depends on the gods, young one..."