PDA

View Full Version : Is it strange that I'm also into cartoons?

With Strength I Burn
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I love Ren and Stimpy, Doraemon, anime, etc.

Granted, I'm also into macabre, nihilistic, and etc... as evident of my involvement in this site...

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Halloween Harlequin
01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Except for the numerical Tree House of Terror episodes, I enjoy Groening's Futurama more than his Simpsons.

With Strength I Burn
02-05-2010, 05:00 AM
I believe this dichotomy of dark art and innocent art symbolizes my division between my intellect and emotions. My emotions desire peace, yet my intellect recognizes the infantilism of such thoughts.

Hildred Castaigne
02-06-2010, 03:21 AM
You are definitely not alone in your appreciation of animation and cartoons. You are also not alone in your affinity for a certain dazzlingly insane Norwegian tele-nymph.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Great thread here. The Spider-Man toons from 1967-1969 hit the spot most for me. I don't like the nonstop quick-paced action toons of today, they get right on my nerves.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
And BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD!

rresmini
02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
loved those early spider-man cartoons. A lot of the crude, early Marvel cartoons were fun. Marine Boy is another one. Of course the early Warner Bros stuff. Early 90s I loved Bump in the Night and thought reboot was interesting from a visual standpoint. Most recent thing I enjoy is Venture Bros.

YouTube- Bump In The Night - "Baby Jail"

Sam
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
loved those early spider-man cartoons. A lot of the crude, early Marvel cartoons were fun. Marine Boy is another one. Of course the early Warner Bros stuff. Early 90s I loved Bump in the Night and thought reboot was interesting from a visual standpoint. Most recent thing I enjoy is Venture Bros.

The Venture Bros. is probably my favorite thing going on television right now. For the uninitiated, check the [adult swim] website (http://www.adultswim.com/shows/venturebros/index.html) for background and videos. You will enjoy the show even more if you have any knowledge of comic book and superhero tropes, old new wave/punk musicians, and the odder parts of pop culture in general. Just so, so good.

With Strength I Burn: I also love the original run of Ren & Stimpy, as well as the uncut Looney Tunes stuff. I think absurdity is a valid reaction to living here and now, and is a needed balance for the darker and more serious side of things. I see nothing strange in your interests, and in fact I think it is much healthier than coming down completely on one side or the other.

Ligeia
02-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Watched it yesterday and loved it!

YouTube- Disney/Pixar's Up - Official Trailer

Mr. D.
02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't watch television any more but I grew up with Bullwinkle Moose and Fractured Fairy Tales. Whatever kind of art it was (and is) I don't think you can call it Innocent Art. Even children like me understood the satire.

damo
02-22-2010, 06:58 AM
it's not strange, la. cartoons are great. in fact, anything hyperreal has gotta be worth a look. with you on ren & stimpy. also big into beavis & butthead, king of the hill and i'm head over heals with south park. programmes such as these gives nations such as ours (UK) hope, in that the US isn't full of right-wing rapturists etc (only being slightly facetious here) and rapper pseuds earning loadsamoney from unceasing negativity (and i don't mean the good kind of negativity all you lovers of things dark and strange). it's great that acid satire of this type can flourish in the US, as it's stories such as tennessee williams being banned from schools etc that we hear about so much. so long as great art of this type continues unabated, and the proliferation of people such as tom waits, frank zappa, george clinton, jello biafra et al and the myriad brilliant writers the US has given us, with ligotti right up there, the yanks can still regard their nation as a great one. (whoa, where did all that come from? see – you even animated me with this topic.)

Corman
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of cartoons as well. Thanks to the Adult Swim block, it seems more and more channels are starting to experiment with adult-themed cartoons (including a few created by former members of Adult Swim's talent pool), a development I heartily endorse. Aside from the aforementioned Venture Bros. (tied only with The Wire for greatest American TV show), I'm willing to give just about anything Adult Swim puts out a shot. Their hits (Moral Orel,Metalocalypse,Delocated,Superjail!,Xavier: Renegade Angel) make up for all the misses (12 oz. mouse,Fat Guy Stuck In Internet,the later episodes of Sealab 2021).

I'm really looking forward to Dino Stamatopoulos' upcoming stop-motion series Mary Shelley's Frankenhole, formerly called Frankenstime, which premieres later this month. The premise of the series is Dr. Frankenstien discovers time travel and all manner of supernatural insanity wreaks havoc on the space/time continuum.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_20127b4109224765b5efb1b8a4f6c7e1.jpg

Spotbowserfido2
06-05-2010, 10:52 PM
That looks like Gandhi with dangerous teeth! :eek:

kobaia
06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't often watch cartoons anymore, but some childhood favorites included Rocky & Bullwinkle, Little Audrey, The Mighty Heroes, Jonny Quest, and Clutch Cargo (how the moving lips used to give me the creeps).

shivering
06-06-2010, 08:27 AM
I still enjoy stuff like Angry Beavers, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, old Max Fleischer stuff, Bugs Bunny et al., Tom & Jerry and even Shaun the Sheep. This is aside from more 'serious' stuff like Le Planete Sauvage, Wizards, Fantasia (the original) and a boatload of Japanese anime.

In fact, I generally prefer animation to movies these days.

Personally, I have never understood the "cartoons are for kids only" attitude.

Banake
12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
God, The Venture Bros. saved my sanity more than one time. It's a shame that I need to get illegally on the internet. =/

DoktorH
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I like cartoons as well! Classic looney tunes, Avatar the last airbender, legend of korra, my neighbor totoro, spirited away, death note, invader zim, and Friendship is Magic are some of my favorites. I don't have cable TV access, but between netflix, itunes, and my DVD collection I have access to plenty of stuff.

ChildofOldLeech
12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Although I'm not that big of an anime fan, the series Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of my favorite things ever. It starts out as a standard 'adolescents pilot giant robots against alien menace' show, but is to the genre what Twin Peaks was to the police/mystery drama, incorporating labyrinthine conspiracies, existential philosophy, body horror, a seriously unique reinterpretation of christian creation mythology inspired by gnosticism, cosmic alien threats, psychological explorations of teenage angst and depression, and what is perhaps my all-time favorite cinematic apocalypse; yes, even better than Akira's. Also, the show's creator had a nervous breakdown over the course of production, and it shows - in a good way.

ChildofOldLeech
12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Returning to animation, I would just like to recommend 'Adventure Time' to everybody out there in TLO-land; it's one of the greatest things currently found on network tv, and perhaps the most unconventional and out-there kid's cartoon show since the golden days of Nickelodeon. Although ostensibly aimed at a younger audience, AT's emphasis on deadpan absurdism, esoteric references, and general weirdness makes it something more greatly appreciated by maturer viewers; like an underground comic (sans the naughtiness) brought to life by Jim Woodring, Bill Watterson, and Jeff Smith. Last season's final episode, which opened with a dream sequence straight out of Twin Peaks is a case in point:

Hora de Aventura El Lich Subtitulado - YouTube

Corman
12-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Adventure Time is actually a post-apocalyptic cartoon. It takes place 1000 years after a biological/nuclear war mutated all life on earth beyond recognition.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco83xSfIq1rbavngo1_500.gif

It fused all the continents into a reverse-engineered Pangaea called the Land of Ooo (which, btw, is in the shape of a phoenix).

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7nbcnaqlz1qe1hi6o1_500.gif

(also, the season premiere featured an alternate reality where the main character, Finn, caused the apocalypse)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdd25z57P91r2il6eo1_500.gif

ChildofOldLeech
12-06-2012, 01:42 AM
Adventure Time is indeed that, and much, much more; this week's episode opened with a character referencing Aleister Crowley's "Do what thou wilt" quote - how many cartoon shows can make that claim?

shivering
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Loved Aachi & Ssipak the first time I saw it........
wonderfully twisted with references galore.

See here:

Aachi and Ssipak_part 1.avi - YouTube

Banake
12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Do someone here watch the anime Kaiba? I just watched the first episode, but liked a lot. Very cyberpunk/surreal.

Banake
12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I started to watch Adventure Time because I discovered that it pass in a post-apocalyptic world.

ZeroGravitas
12-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of animation, mostly anime. Black Butler, Ouran High School Host Club, and Fullmetal Alchemist are favorites, all really beautifully animated and with engaging story lines.
As far as Western animation goes, Nightmare Before Christmas is an old favorite along with pretty much anything Pixar. Lately I've really been enjoying Disney's Tron Uprising series--it's really gorgeous and has some great voice talents (Elijah Wood, Lance Hendriksen, Paul Reubens).
And there's always Aqua Teen Hunger Force if I'm in need of a brain vacation!:D

Dead as Dreams
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Vampire Hunter D was a favorite of mine growing up, and still is today. It was the Cybergothic aesthetic that captivated me: the mix of androids, mutants, post-apocalyptic ruination, and supernatural monsters from myth, folklore, and theology--the vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.--and sci-fi high-tech heavy munitions used alongside of ancient, arcane magical objects. Basically this film is an adolescent genre fan’s wet dream come true, and it synthesizes all of its different elements into its strange world so seamlessly that it never feels jarring or exploitative. This blender approach produced some downright weird teratologies, and they strike me just as much so today.

I was pleased to find a high-quality upload of the film on YouTube. Apparently, it’s been re-mastered, and boy, is it ever beautiful. What a treat to watch, especially since I only had a crappy VHS copy recorded from PBS, TBS, or whatever the hell TV station, that was probably a bad transfer of the film to begin with.

In my drunken college days I saw the sequel in theaters, and thought that the animation was extremely impressive but didn’t care as much for the story: exactly how I felt about Ghost in the Shell and its sequel Innocence. Bloodlust is also posted, so I may give it another shot someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5log6b9-0

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's also got an extraordinary soundtrack, and is incredibly well-written. I think it may have been based on a series of Japanese novels. Check out the film at the link above.

bendk
12-18-2012, 07:01 AM
One of my favorites.

http://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/693/little-red-riding-rabbit.html

Banake
12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
[Kaiba][OP] Never - YouTube

Banake
12-21-2012, 05:35 AM
The Trap Door - Episode 1 - Series 1 - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
03-21-2015, 12:24 AM
OZCThe Big O E10 720p - YouTube

- A stand-alone episode from one of the more original mecha anime shows (imagine Bruce Wayne operating a giant robot in Dark City) that continues to haunt me years after first seeing it; a poignant and uncanny story of dreams, memory and fate that has always reminded me of the likes of Peter Ibbetson, La Jetee, and The Invention of Morel.

ToALonelyPeace
03-23-2015, 12:15 AM
I enjoy cartoons (especially anime) a lot as well.
King of the Hills, The Simpsons, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Doraemon :D

To those who like NGE, I'd recommend Texhnolzye. It starts a bit slow, but it's arguably one of the best anime I've watched.

I don't think it has a trailer. So here's some OST:

TEXHNOLYZE Soundtrack: Blue Darkness ~ A Sleepless Town - YouTube

TEXHNOLYZE: MAN OF MEN - 017- When A Flower Blooms - YouTube

With Strength I Burn
03-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Doraemon :D

My favorite Doraemon movies are Nobita's Dinosaur (2006 remake), The Record of Nobita's Spaceblazer (2009 remake), and Nobita's Diary of the Creation of the World. That's from what I've seen with fansubs.

The recent English 2003 dub (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817339) also ruined a lot of stuff like changing a first aid kit into a pizza and eliminating elements of Japanese culture (e.g., omelette rice changed to pancakes).

Have you seen the new CGI movie Stand by me Doraemon?

STAND BY ME DORAEMON Trailer - YouTube

ToALonelyPeace
03-23-2015, 01:02 AM
My favorite Doraemon movies are Nobita's Dinosaur (2006 remake), The Record of Nobita's Spaceblazer (2009 remake), and The Record of Nobita's Spaceblazer. That's from what I've seen with fansubs.

The recent English 2003 dub (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817339) also ruined a lot of stuff like changing a first aid kit into a pizza and eliminating elements of Japanese culture (e.g., omelette rice changed to pancakes).

Have you seen the new CGI movie Stand by me Doraemon?

STAND BY ME DORAEMON Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRAVwBBRRA)

I haven't seen it, but it looks interesting :cool: Thanks, I'll watch it.
(Dammit, you're making me cry and smile with nostalgia).

Justin Isis
03-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Doraemon :D

My favorite Doraemon movies

I will probably never get around to writing this, but for a while I've had an idea for an Alan Moore-style reworking of Doraemon, based on the idea that the premises behind Doraemon and the Terminator film series are not wildly different - in both cases, someone sends a robot into the past to assist their family members/save them from harm. In my version, Nobita's descendant Sewashi would be the leader of a future Japanese ultra nationalist party that is determined to create some kind of Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. In order to get the jump on his enemies, he sends Doraemon (an advanced military AI weapons system) back in time, programmed to "educate" Nobita and encourage him to build up financial resources over the course of his life, so that by Sewashi's time the group will have the means to efficiently take over the country. In this version of the story, Nobita is even more inept at everyday life, but instead of encouraging him to succeed on the terms of his society by improving his academic and social skills, Doraemon encourages his worst impulses by brainwashing him with the Sewashi group's far right rhetoric, and also by casually murdering everyone who remotely offends him (so Gian, his parents, etc. all suffer immediate summary executions). Needless to mention, it would end with unexpected apocalyptic catastrophe, probably involving Doraemon's fusion reactor core.

With Strength I Burn
04-19-2015, 11:51 PM
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders (Part 3) has a lot of weird fiction elements in it, Season 2 in particular:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders

http://myanimelist.net/anime/26055/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders_2nd_Se ason

Episode 19-20, Death 13, and Episode 34-35, D'Arby the Gambler, were pretty awesome. I recommend seeking out the fansubbed episodes. Warning, it's very violent and bloody especially if you watch it uncensored. I mean you literally see women and dogs get butchered in some scenes.

JoJos R-R-R-Raise! - YouTube

ChildofOldLeech
04-20-2015, 12:04 AM
- WSiB, I was reading about the original manga of the 'Bizarre Adventures' series just a couple days ago and have been considering obtaining the first volumes via interlibrary loan; is it one you would recommend checking out?

miguel1984
04-20-2015, 12:20 AM
I am also into cartoons: Ren & Stimpy, The Ripping Friends, Rocko's Modern Life, Duckman, Pirates of Dark Water, The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Spawn, Two Stupid Dogs, among many others, mainly from the late 1980s and early 1990s. I believe it is not strange at all.

Hideous Name
04-20-2015, 01:58 AM
I enjoy watching The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Ugly Americans, Mr. Pickles, Metalocalypse. Also when i´m nostalgic i watch some cartoons from my childhood such as Batman, Courage the cowadly dog, Scooby Doo.

Memories from my childhood. Batman - The animated Series Opening [Full HD] - YouTube

Robert Adam Gilmour
04-20-2015, 08:01 AM
The comic of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is well worth getting, far far better visuals than any of the animated versions.
But it's split into lots of different parts, all of the third part is in English now and it's the better than the first and second part currently being translated into English (those are pretty good too though).

VIZ.com (http://www.viz.com/manga/print/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-3-stardust-crusaders)

There's also a Rohan book in English, the art is good but I didn't think the story was very interesting.

It's taken far too long for this stuff to be translated and there's no guarantee that parts 4 and onwards will be translated in the next few years.

With Strength I Burn
04-20-2015, 12:16 PM
The comic of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is well worth getting, far far better visuals than any of the animated versions.

Have you seen the newer animated versions? They're claimed to be quite faithful to the manga and barely cut anything out. I've skimmed the manga because I could only find poorly fan translations of the other Parts besides Part 3, which was officially translated.

The newer adaptation of Stardust Crusaders (Part 3) started airing this year. I would ignore the older 2000 OVA because it cut out too much, even though it can be a bit more ambient than the newer adaptation. The newer animated adaptations of Part 1 and 2 also have good fansubs.

I would also check out the newer anime, CoC.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14719/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure_(2012)

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders (has 2 seasons, may have another because it's very long)

Robert Adam Gilmour
04-20-2015, 02:10 PM
I've seen bits of the animated versions but Araki's drawing is quite crucial to me. Although I did adore the PS1/Dreamcast game because it crammed in so many ideas in an exciting way.

miguel1984
04-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Oh, add Robotech, The Adventures of Tintin and Shakespeare: The Animated Tales (Russian animation is great!) to my list. Also, the work of Jan Švankmajer and Yuriy Norshteyn; I hope Norshteyn gets to finish The Overcoat one of these days.

Biely Králik
04-21-2015, 11:40 AM
My favorite cartoon series-show of all time -

Courage the Cowardly Dog - Horror, Surreal, Absurd, Transgressive

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130207112702/courage/images/d/d8/Tumblr_lw22r2Ibnx1r62u54o1_400.gif

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130207110632/courage/images/2/26/Courage-the-Cowardly-Dog-courage-the-cowardly-dog-20411561-500-375.gif

From the golden age of Cartoon Network 95-02. For a kids show this was disturbing as hell, for example -

Top 10 Most Disturbing (Scariest) Courage The Cowardly Dog Episodes - YouTube

or

My Top 5 most unpleasant Courage the Cowardly Dog moments - YouTube

and this scene, just wtf -

Courage the Cowardly Dog - Doc Gerbils Boat Scene Soundtrack High Quality - YouTube

With Strength I Burn
05-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Ligottian moment from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders.

Copy of Ligottian Puppets in JoJos Bizarre Adventure - YouTube

Michael
05-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Cartoons are awesome. It's that simple. They're just awesome. No way around it.

With Strength I Burn
05-09-2015, 03:08 PM
I loved the Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat when I was younger. Like Ren and Stimpy, it had a wacky and deranged feel to it.

"Space Time Twister" is very interesting and begins at 7:55 mark.

The Twisted Tales of Felix The Cat 1x01 Guardian Idiot~Space Time Twister~Dont String Me Along - YouTube

A lot of the episodes get pretty surreal.

ChildofOldLeech
05-09-2015, 03:39 PM
- I haven't thought of that Felix the Cat show in ages, but I can definitely recall watching it as a kid; in fact, I'm fairly certain it was the source of one of my all-time favorite bits: Felix is catapulted into space so hard that he hits the edge of the universe - cut to a rubber ball with a Felix-shaped lump in it being held by a little boy in kneesocks who exclaims "Mummy! There's something in my ball!" in a prissy british accent.
Or at least that's how I remember it. . .

With Strength I Burn
05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
I was finally able to finish Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had started it a year ago and stopped because I couldn't stand Shinji's whining. However, I was able to finish it and realized I was prematurely judging it.

It's definitely one of the best experiences I've ever had. I actually came to sympathize with Shinji by the end.

I feel as if it delved into a lot that's not easy to summarize shortly: psychological dysfunction, the experience of deep despair, Gnostic-like apocalypse, epistemological solipsism (i.e., "knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure"), and so forth. The macabre, surreal imagery in End of Evangelion was also incredible.

Here's how I encourage people to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's difficult to watch because the pacing may throw some people off, but by the time of End of Evangelion it's worth it:

1. Watch ep. 1-24 of NGE (1995). Be sure Ep. 21-24 are the Director's Cut versions.

2. Watch this Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g) up to 5:40

3. Watch End of Evangelion

4. Finish watching the Youtube video (5:40-7:34) and read the Wiki on End of Evangelion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_Evangelion#Plot) if you still need clarification on some things.

With this knowledge, you'll get the most out of your viewing experience and thereby enriching it.

James Sucellus
05-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Shinji's self-obsessive misery was actually one of the core points of intrigue in the show for me. He's the antithesis of everything you'd expect a mecha action show protagonist to be.

Eva remains the most artistically powerful TV I've seen, up there with The Wire. I enjoy the Rebuild films, but Anno has made a real mess of things, and the third film was amusingly incoherent. I'm fascinated to see how this all ends, and hope it's as poignant as End of Evangelion was.

ChildofOldLeech
05-15-2015, 01:42 PM
- I cannot agree enough with your evaluation of Evangelion; for me it was the equivalent of Twin Peaks or The Nightmare Factory, one of those works of art which identifies a part of yourself you were previously unaware existed. When I first came to it I had virtually no familiarity with anime which at the time I had no liking for, chiefly associating it with shows like Dragonball typified by poor dubbing and numerous shots of characters sweating and panting, but after walking in on the opening of the first episode, I was immediately transfixed. Shinji is a notoriously problematic character and hard to tolerate for many, but as a 16 year old viewer, I could easily relate, seeing a lot of myself and my own neurotic, insecure personality reflected in him (albeit in an extreme, exaggerated way.) I will endlessly champion End of Evangelion as one of the greatest films ever made, containing a multitude of amazing scenes: Asuka's showdown against the mass-produced EVAs, the jawdropping Third Impact sequence, Shinji's final encounter with his mother and that haunting, ambiguous, sting-in-the-tail ending. Evangelion is one of those topics it is difficult for me to discuss because I inevitability depart from rational objectivity and descend into inarticulate fanboyish adulation, but that is because it is something that has effected me on so deep a level that feelings overtake language. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed it WSIB, and would recommend it to all TLOers partial to the genre.

With Strength I Burn
05-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Spoilers for both the ending of the TV series and End of Evangelion. Highlight to read:

In End of Evangelion the primordial soup, or the "anti-AT-Field", is portrayed as uniting all humans into one collective consciousness, within the Egg of Lilith, without barriers of their self-images (i.e., physically manifested as the AT field Kaworu talked about in Ep. 24). However, in the last two episodes of the TV series, the Third Impact seems to cause every being iving in an independent world, using their separated minds to shape their worlds at will. The Human Instrumentality Project had different outcomes in Ep. 26 of the TV series and End of Evangelion,

Based off the recycled scenes from Ep. 25 in End of Evangelion, I infer similar events led to different finalities. The final episode of the TV series just involved an alternative decision to live in distinct self-made universes compared to Shinji's decision in End of Evangelion to live outside the homogenizing, anxiety-free collective consciousness and experience joy as well as pain. Overall, End of of Evangelion had a much more apocalyptic and poignant ending, and I liked it more than the last two episodes.

Personally, I think EoE was more poignant and, even, horrifying. The end to the TV series was actually pretty optimistic, which I found interesting to contrast to the EoE. I still did enjoy some of the monologues in the final two episodes of the TV series though, but you technically don't even need to watch Ep. 25-26 of the TV series in order to have the complete viewing experience. I went ahead and edited that out. Just ignore the last 2 episodes of the TV series unless you want to consider an alternate, non-canon ending. End of Evangelion was much better.

Don't waste time with Death & Rebirth movie either. It's just a recap movie.

ChildofOldLeech
05-15-2015, 02:38 PM
- While I enjoy the series ending (when I first watched NGE it was the only ending available as EoE hadn't been officially released in the US yet, I first saw the latter courtesy of a friend's bootleg fansub), but still greatly prefer the film's, easily; if I recollect correctly, much of the film's content was intended to constitute the original finale for the show (as evidenced by the shots of Misato and Ritsuko in ep. 25), but budgetary and editorial constraints imposed by the studio resulted in the more stripped-down, abstract version that resulted.

- On the subject of the remakes, I too am still looking forward to the final film, even if the series went seriously off the rails in the third. Admittedly, I've only seen the 3rd Rebuild once (and while somewhat boozed-up), but it seemed wrought with missteps. After the perfect cliffhanger the second film ended in, it proceeded to squander all that dramatic potential: having the Third Impact already taken place and the world reduced to the two NERV factions completely robbed the narrative of the tension and drive it formerly possessed. And Shinji, after being shown confronting and besting some of his demons and achieving new level of personal growth and heroism by the end of the second film, has all that immediately destroyed in the third, ostracized and even despised by everyone, he becomes more pitiful and self-loathing than ever. It could be argued this was done to set up his relationship with Kaoru, but seeing as that ultimately blows up in Shinji's face too, it feels like the filmmakers are betraying his character, just setting Shinji up in order to knock him back down; indeed, none of the regular characters really rang true or seemed like themselves in the 3rd either. I'm holding on to the hope that the events of the last film will be revealed as taking place in some subjective/alternate reality created by the Third Impact, but I sense I've entered that state of fanboyism previously mentioned, and will leave it at that. . .

ChildofOldLeech
05-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Asukas final fight - YouTube

- My appreciation for this scene is nigh boundless; the detail to editing and sound design compounded with the emotional resonance derived from the character's history and role in the story, and the way in which the expectations created by the viewer/fan of the series are deliberately manipulated and then subverted by the filmmakers results in a sequence of pure artistic and technical mastery.

Ven, dulce muerte (Komm, süsser tod - traducida al español) - YouTube

- I've finally come across a complete clip of the EoE 'Third Impact' scene on youtube; unfortunately, all the dialogue has been covered by the music, but it still gives an indication of the sequence's visionary power.

James Sucellus
05-16-2015, 03:11 AM
I don't suppose people have recommendations for anime which are similarly strange and philosophical? I've watched many since I finished Eva, but none have matched its power.

ChildofOldLeech
05-16-2015, 03:25 AM
- I'm not really much of an otaku, and the only other anime I love nearly as much as the Evangelion saga is Akira, but Big O certainly had its moments, particularly in my favorite episode, the stand-alone 'Winter Night Phantom'; also, while its been at least a decade since I've watched them, I recall Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain as being both thoughtful and seriously odd; so much so in the case of the latter that I ultimately had no idea just what the hell was going on.

With Strength I Burn
05-16-2015, 03:53 AM
Chiaki J. Konaka's stuff like Texhnolyze to recommend. So far Texhnolyze has been good (on ep. 9). I second ALonelyPlace's recommendation. He's actually written Cthulhu Mythos btw.

Texhnolyze (Opening) - YouTube

------

For philosophical and strange, I recommend Osamu Tezuka's Hi no Tori manga and not the anime adaptations.

I recommend reading the whole series, but Vol. 2: Future and Vol. 4: Karma a are some of the best stories I've read. Avoid the butchered anime adaptation though, but the OP to the anime adaptation is beautiful though and gives a general idea of it.

Hinotori (Phoenix) Opening - YouTube

It's about a cosmic phoenix, that transcends space and time, and its perspective of mankind's cyclical and futile struggles. The narrative alternates between ancient/historical Japan and sci-fi futuristic settings while moving towards the present, but Osamu Tezuka wasn't able to fully complete it before he died. Still, each story is self-contained while sharing a common thread. Even with drastic changes in the time-points, common themes and motifs pop up, such as ambitious individuals who desire to kill and drink the phoenix's blood in order to become immortal, and so forth.

Tezuka was a strange man. He made mature manga such as Ode to Kirihito (very good and pessimistic), MW, Apollo's Song, Buddha, Hi no Tori, Message to Adolf, and so much more, but he also made popular manga for children (e.g., Leo the Lion, Astro Boy, and etc).

Anyways, Tezuka was begging to finish Hi no Tori on his deathbed... Regardless, I consider it a masterpiece, especially for Volumes 2 & 4 . It's strange and immensely philosophical. It'll also leave you with a feeling of futility as you realize the limitations of your action's impact on a larger-scale. History just repeats itself "with different clothes", so to speak, regardless of what one attempts to do, at least in that manga. Almost every story, besides volume two, ends poignantly.

It's actually well-renowned and received high reviews. Tezuka should be remembered for his more mature works and not his children stuff... Sorry, if I sounded kinda incoherent - sleepy.

http://images.sequart.org/images/Phoenix-10.jpg

ChildofOldLeech
05-16-2015, 11:27 AM
- Thank you so much for posting that WSIB; unfortunately, it would appear that the emissaries of Black Iron Prison Inc. have already taken it down. . .

With Strength I Burn
05-18-2015, 02:43 AM
Texnholyze is a very good anime about the end of the human race and the futility/hopelessness in trying to save it. Very bleak and depressing ending.

From a review:

"It’s as close to a perfect anime as I’ve seen, and despite its depressing outlook on life, its minimalist dialogue, its painfully slow pacing, as well as its dark and dreary atmosphere, Texhnolyze is full of things to interpret, characters to explore, motivations to understand, and a city filled with mysteries. It’s a story where its philosophical foundations as well as religious, literary, and artistic references serve to enhance the narrative, as opposed to being there to appear intelligent. What’s most amazing about this show is how much one is allowed to interpret, to the point where even the dark nihilistic and existential points in the show can also be turned to represent hope for humanity, the constant struggle for man that makes what we are human."

I've watched a lot of bleak films and so forth, but this one hit me the most strongly. The ending is kinda like this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1qzxhc19U0), which I posted a long time ago.

NGE and Texhnolyze felt very similar to me:

Texhnolyze is the only anime I've yet seen that even compares to NGE in terms of artistic depth. It's also the only one since NGE to make me feel like I'd really been through something by the end. The story takes a while to unfold, but it reminds me of NGE in that around 3/4 of the way through it really picks up. And even though the pace never reaches a boiling point, it remains measured and intense throughout. There are many episodes where not much happens and the episode just serves to slowly advance the story.

With Strength I Burn
05-26-2015, 03:37 PM
I forgot how much I originally appreciated the HBO Spawn series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118475/) until I revisited them. The Gnostic grittiness of it is pretty amazing.

I recommend getting the DVD set because it has Todd Mcfarlene's intros before each episodes, and they kinda remind me of the Log Lady intros from Twin Peaks. They're far less cryptic though, but they still convey some pretty profound tidbits of relevant information.

Amazon.com: Todd McFarlane TV

J.T. Edwards
05-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Batman - The Animated Series is not only one of my favorite cartoons but one of my favorite shows ever made period.

Samurai Jack is a close second, although cartoon network canceled it way too soon for some reason.

I loved a lot of the Nicktoons and Cartoon Network toons.. Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, and as Biely Králik mentioned above the greatest of them all Courage The Cowardly Dog. The Twilight Zone of cartoons. I found the first few seasons of Spongebob great, it eventually got too big for it's own good and turned to ####.

Also a huge fan of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Adult Swim. Squidbillies as well.

As far as kids cartoons go most of them don't interest me at all with the exception of Regular Show. It definitely feels like it would fit right in with those classic nicktoon/cartoon cartoons.