PDA

View Full Version : Is it strange that I'm also into cartoons?

With Strength I Burn
01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I love Ren and Stimpy, Speed Racer, Beavis and Butt-head, Rocko's Modern Life, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Mafalda, Astro Boy (1980's cartoon), Madeline, Little Lulu, Bugs Bunny, and etc. I watch them often, and I still play Pokemon... .

Granted, I'm also into macabre, nihilistic, and etc... as evident of my involvement in this site...

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Halloween Harlequin
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Except for the numerical Tree House of Terror episodes, I enjoy Groening's Futurama more than his Simpsons.

With Strength I Burn
02-05-2010, 06:00 AM
I believe this dichotomy of dark art and innocent art symbolizes my division between my intellect and emotions. My emotions desire peace, yet my intellect recognizes the infantilism of such thoughts.

Hildred Castaigne
02-06-2010, 04:21 AM
You are definitely not alone in your appreciation of animation and cartoons. You are also not alone in your affinity for a certain dazzlingly insane Norwegian tele-nymph.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Great thread here. The Spider-Man toons from 1967-1969 hit the spot most for me. I don't like the nonstop quick-paced action toons of today, they get right on my nerves.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
And BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD!

rresmini
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
loved those early spider-man cartoons. A lot of the crude, early Marvel cartoons were fun. Marine Boy is another one. Of course the early Warner Bros stuff. Early 90s I loved Bump in the Night and thought reboot was interesting from a visual standpoint. Most recent thing I enjoy is Venture Bros.

YouTube- Bump In The Night - "Baby Jail"

Sam
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
loved those early spider-man cartoons. A lot of the crude, early Marvel cartoons were fun. Marine Boy is another one. Of course the early Warner Bros stuff. Early 90s I loved Bump in the Night and thought reboot was interesting from a visual standpoint. Most recent thing I enjoy is Venture Bros.

The Venture Bros. is probably my favorite thing going on television right now. For the uninitiated, check the [adult swim] website (http://www.adultswim.com/shows/venturebros/index.html) for background and videos. You will enjoy the show even more if you have any knowledge of comic book and superhero tropes, old new wave/punk musicians, and the odder parts of pop culture in general. Just so, so good.

With Strength I Burn: I also love the original run of Ren & Stimpy, as well as the uncut Looney Tunes stuff. I think absurdity is a valid reaction to living here and now, and is a needed balance for the darker and more serious side of things. I see nothing strange in your interests, and in fact I think it is much healthier than coming down completely on one side or the other.

Ligeia
02-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Watched it yesterday and loved it!

YouTube- Disney/Pixar's Up - Official Trailer

Mr. D.
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't watch television any more but I grew up with Bullwinkle Moose and Fractured Fairy Tales. Whatever kind of art it was (and is) I don't think you can call it Innocent Art. Even children like me understood the satire.

damo
02-22-2010, 07:58 AM
it's not strange, la. cartoons are great. in fact, anything hyperreal has gotta be worth a look. with you on ren & stimpy. also big into beavis & butthead, king of the hill and i'm head over heals with south park. programmes such as these gives nations such as ours (UK) hope, in that the US isn't full of right-wing rapturists etc (only being slightly facetious here) and rapper pseuds earning loadsamoney from unceasing negativity (and i don't mean the good kind of negativity all you lovers of things dark and strange). it's great that acid satire of this type can flourish in the US, as it's stories such as tennessee williams being banned from schools etc that we hear about so much. so long as great art of this type continues unabated, and the proliferation of people such as tom waits, frank zappa, george clinton, jello biafra et al and the myriad brilliant writers the US has given us, with ligotti right up there, the yanks can still regard their nation as a great one. (whoa, where did all that come from? see you even animated me with this topic.)

Corman
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of cartoons as well. Thanks to the Adult Swim block, it seems more and more channels are starting to experiment with adult-themed cartoons (including a few created by former members of Adult Swim's talent pool), a development I heartily endorse. Aside from the aforementioned Venture Bros. (tied only with The Wire for greatest American TV show), I'm willing to give just about anything Adult Swim puts out a shot. Their hits (Moral Orel,Metalocalypse,Delocated,Superjail!,Xavier: Renegade Angel) make up for all the misses (12 oz. mouse,Fat Guy Stuck In Internet,the later episodes of Sealab 2021).

I'm really looking forward to Dino Stamatopoulos' upcoming stop-motion series Mary Shelley's Frankenhole, formerly called Frankenstime, which premieres later this month. The premise of the series is Dr. Frankenstien discovers time travel and all manner of supernatural insanity wreaks havoc on the space/time continuum.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_20127b4109224765b5efb1b8a4f6c7e1.jpg

Spotbowserfido2
06-05-2010, 11:52 PM
That looks like Gandhi with dangerous teeth! :eek:

kobaia
06-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't often watch cartoons anymore, but some childhood favorites included Rocky & Bullwinkle, Little Audrey, The Mighty Heroes, Jonny Quest, and Clutch Cargo (how the moving lips used to give me the creeps).

shivering
06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I still enjoy stuff like Angry Beavers, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, old Max Fleischer stuff, Bugs Bunny et al., Tom & Jerry and even Shaun the Sheep. This is aside from more 'serious' stuff like Le Planete Sauvage, Wizards, Fantasia (the original) and a boatload of Japanese anime.

In fact, I generally prefer animation to movies these days.

Personally, I have never understood the "cartoons are for kids only" attitude.

Banake
12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
God, The Venture Bros. saved my sanity more than one time. It's a shame that I need to get illegally on the internet. =/

DoktorH
12-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I like cartoons as well! Classic looney tunes, Avatar the last airbender, legend of korra, my neighbor totoro, spirited away, death note, invader zim, and Friendship is Magic are some of my favorites. I don't have cable TV access, but between netflix, itunes, and my DVD collection I have access to plenty of stuff.

ChildofOldLeech
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Although I'm not that big of an anime fan, the series Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of my favorite things ever. It starts out as a standard 'adolescents pilot giant robots against alien menace' show, but is to the genre what Twin Peaks was to the police/mystery drama, incorporating labyrinthine conspiracies, existential philosophy, body horror, a seriously unique reinterpretation of christian creation mythology inspired by gnosticism, cosmic alien threats, psychological explorations of teenage angst and depression, and what is perhaps my all-time favorite cinematic apocalypse; yes, even better than Akira's. Also, the show's creator had a nervous breakdown over the course of production, and it shows - in a good way.

ChildofOldLeech
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Returning to animation, I would just like to recommend 'Adventure Time' to everybody out there in TLO-land; it's one of the greatest things currently found on network tv, and perhaps the most unconventional and out-there kid's cartoon show since the golden days of Nickelodeon. Although ostensibly aimed at a younger audience, AT's emphasis on deadpan absurdism, esoteric references, and general weirdness makes it something more greatly appreciated by maturer viewers; like an underground comic (sans the naughtiness) brought to life by Jim Woodring, Bill Watterson, and Jeff Smith. Last season's final episode, which opened with a dream sequence straight out of Twin Peaks is a case in point:

Hora de Aventura El Lich Subtitulado - YouTube

Corman
12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Adventure Time is actually a post-apocalyptic cartoon. It takes place 1000 years after a biological/nuclear war mutated all life on earth beyond recognition.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco83xSfIq1rbavngo1_500.gif

It fused all the continents into a reverse-engineered Pangaea called the Land of Ooo (which, btw, is in the shape of a phoenix).

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7nbcnaqlz1qe1hi6o1_500.gif

(also, the season premiere featured an alternate reality where the main character, Finn, caused the apocalypse)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdd25z57P91r2il6eo1_500.gif

ChildofOldLeech
12-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Adventure Time is indeed that, and much, much more; this week's episode opened with a character referencing Aleister Crowley's "Do what thou wilt" quote - how many cartoon shows can make that claim?

shivering
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Loved Aachi & Ssipak the first time I saw it........
wonderfully twisted with references galore.

See here:

Aachi and Ssipak_part 1.avi - YouTube

Banake
12-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Do someone here watch the anime Kaiba? I just watched the first episode, but liked a lot. Very cyberpunk/surreal.

Banake
12-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I started to watch Adventure Time because I discovered that it pass in a post-apocalyptic world.

ZeroGravitas
12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of animation, mostly anime. Black Butler, Ouran High School Host Club, and Fullmetal Alchemist are favorites, all really beautifully animated and with engaging story lines.
As far as Western animation goes, Nightmare Before Christmas is an old favorite along with pretty much anything Pixar. Lately I've really been enjoying Disney's Tron Uprising series--it's really gorgeous and has some great voice talents (Elijah Wood, Lance Hendriksen, Paul Reubens).
And there's always Aqua Teen Hunger Force if I'm in need of a brain vacation!:D

Dead as Dreams
12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Vampire Hunter D was a favorite of mine growing up, and still is today. It was the Cybergothic aesthetic that captivated me: the mix of androids, mutants, post-apocalyptic ruination, and supernatural monsters from myth, folklore, and theology--the vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.--and sci-fi high-tech heavy munitions used alongside of ancient, arcane magical objects. Basically this film is an adolescent genre fan’s wet dream come true, and it synthesizes all of its different elements into its strange world so seamlessly that it never feels jarring or exploitative. This blender approach produced some downright weird teratologies, and they strike me just as much so today.

I was pleased to find a high-quality upload of the film on YouTube. Apparently, it’s been re-mastered, and boy, is it ever beautiful. What a treat to watch, especially since I only had a crappy VHS copy recorded from PBS, TBS, or whatever the hell TV station, that was probably a bad transfer of the film to begin with.

In my drunken college days I saw the sequel in theaters, and thought that the animation was extremely impressive but didn’t care as much for the story: exactly how I felt about Ghost in the Shell and its sequel Innocence. Bloodlust is also posted, so I may give it another shot someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5log6b9-0

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's also got an extraordinary soundtrack, and is incredibly well-written. I think it may have been based on a series of Japanese novels. Check out the film at the link above.

bendk
12-18-2012, 08:01 AM
One of my favorites.

http://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/693/little-red-riding-rabbit.html

Banake
12-20-2012, 08:38 PM
[Kaiba][OP] Never - YouTube

Banake
12-21-2012, 06:35 AM
The Trap Door - Episode 1 - Series 1 - YouTube