PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Academy Constructs Worship Circle

John Wisecraft
02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
The inquiry of an owl: the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado has constructed a double circle of stones atop a hill on the campus for cadets to practice Druidism and other Earth-centered religions. I think it is an excellent example of freedom of religion.

Any thoughts?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/01/airforce_pagans_012910w/

G. S. Carnivals
02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Why not? A chapel for Christian or Judaic or Islamic or Buddhist worship is merely a different structure.

Steve Dekorte
02-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Given that there are tens of thousands of religions (and new ones every year), is using taxpayer funds to build structures for one or even some small subset of them freedom of religion or the government endorsement of particular religions?

Is really there any way for the government to be neutral while allocating resources to religious practice?

gveranon
02-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Given that there are tens of thousands of religions (and new ones every year), is using taxpayer funds to build structures for one or even some small subset of them freedom of religion or the government endorsement of particular religions?

Is really there any way for the government to be neutral while allocating resources to religious practice?

I fully agree with your opinion, but there's a stubborn preexisting reality involved here. The USAF Academy in Colorado has a famous, much-photographed chapel building, and they'd have to either get rid of this or repurpose it as a museum or ammo dump or something, before they could get out of supporting religion entirely. I can't imagine they will do this any time soon. So, in order to appear neutral and stay legal, they'll end up adding more and more structures at taxpayers' expense for every religio-political group that has enough clout to demand its own. And of course it won't be long before a clueless atheist group decides to act as if it belongs among the religions and demands its own facility as well.

Steve Dekorte
02-03-2010, 02:10 AM
I fully agree with your opinion, but there's a stubborn preexisting reality involved here. The USAF Academy in Colorado has a famous, much-photographed chapel building, and they'd have to either get rid of this or repurpose it as a museum or ammo dump or something, before they could get out of supporting religion entirely. I can't imagine they will do this any time soon. So, in order to appear neutral and stay legal, they'll end up adding more and more structures at taxpayers' expense for any religio-political group that has enough clout to demand its own. And of course it won't be long before a clueless atheist group decides to act as if it belongs among the religions and demands its own facility as well.

I agree. Actually, adding a satanist church (or perhaps a puppet church to the Creator portrayed in Mad Night of Atonement) could be the quickest way to get the religious folks on the side of getting government out of the religion industry. Of course, getting government to abandon supporting (via academic funding and employment) the Keynesian economic religion mey be more difficult.