PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Monster Models

bendk
07-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Does anyone remember those old Aurora monster models from the 60s and 70s? (They were later reissued). They were all the rage when I was a kid. I had the glow-in-the-dark Creature from the Black Lagoon and King Kong model kits. I was just checking them out on eBay. There was a bunch of them. Just curious. I am having a nostalgic moment.

G. S. Carnivals
07-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes! I had the Mummy, Dracula, and Godzilla! And there were DC superheroes, too! I'd forgotten. Thank you!

Aetherwing
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I had the Creature, Mr. Hyde, the Chamber of Horrors, Rodan, and The Deadly Mantis.

These things were SO cool. I'd forgotten them myself until I saw this post, and I don't know what happened to them.

Halcyon days,
Aether

Dr. Bantham
07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
I was obsessed with these when I was around 4-6 years old. I had glow versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Godzilla. I seem to recall that I was quite upset with my inability to paint models to match the package imagery, therefore I was elated to have these versions which looked cool without paint. They were created from incredibly resilient plastic, and nearly made it through my childhood intact. Alas, the damage done was enough for me to toss them out at some daft moment of my teen years.

I recall being so obsessed with horror monsters during this period, in particular Hammer monsters, that I collected everything I could gather. I had a green notebook which I pasted cut outs from magazines and such. It was a secretive affair, and I would study the contents with devotion, as I had never actually seen any of the films. I also remember the bubble gum cards portraying various horror movie stills, complete with silly dialogue balloons such as gaping vampires proclaiming "look ma, no cavities" and a stiff walking Frankenstein complaining about the lack of toilet paper.

Lapsing into nostalgia further, I must recount a particular childhood experience. I knew vampires to be real and feared them so much at night that I adorned the headboard of my bed with a crucifix. Once, when one of my sisters was exacting a heinous act of thievery, she talked me into trading the rarest coin of my collection for a plastic glow-in-the-dark cross she had been given in Sunday school. When she first proposed the trade, I rejected the offer promptly. It was then that she exclaimed that the crucifix about my bed was useless at night, since the vampire would never see it in the dark. I needed a cross which would shine bright in the midnight hour. Sold!

unknown
07-23-2005, 03:37 AM
ahh those swindling sisters.

G. S. Carnivals
07-23-2005, 07:17 AM
A slight tangent here, but related....
Dr. Bantham, did your green notebook contain clippings from Famous Monsters of Filmland? This magazine was wonderful! It was published by Forrest J. Ackerman, the premier fan of the fantastic. Every issue was crammed with stills from horror and science fiction movies. I miss that magazine. I miss all of my comic books, too. I guess if we knew then what we know now, we'd be a bit better off financially....

Aetherwing
07-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Good old Forry J.! I had a big old pile of FMoF, they were incredible.

Didn't HPL (or in this case, Ech'Pe'El, High Priest of Bubastis) dub FJA something like "the Effjay of Ackerman" for the purposes of his penchant of naming the Circle Members?

And Doc B? Your sister was seriously EVIL playing on your fears like that.
Next when you see her, tell her I collapsed in gales of Vincent Price-like laughter upon reading of your childhood deception.

-Aether

waffles
07-23-2005, 05:51 PM
I was given the wolfman as a present from one of my sisters.
I loved it's glow-in-the-dark hands and head.
Once during a blackout at midnight, she combed her hair infront of her face and pretended to be Cousin It. She died shortly after that. I've forgotten how much I miss her.

Thanks for reminding me.

bendk
11-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I came across a couple of these on eBay (lovecraft aurora) and thought Aurora fans might like them. They are fantasy boxes only - not models. Still a great idea. Available only from Horrora!

http://www.morbidmonster.com/horrora/

Aetherwing
11-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Oh, that's a hoot! Thanks for posting 'em, BendK.

An aside...did any of you have that cool old Vincent Price Shrunken Head Kit? I don't know who manufactured it, and mine has been gone for many a moon, but damn was it a cool thing to have! I even recall Vincent doing TV commercials for it....Halcyon days!

True story: in 4th grade, a large non-caucasian gal named Matasha was sitting across from me in the school cafeteria at lunch. I attempted to take a swallow of milk, which went down the wrong pipe. I choked and spewed milk upon Matasha, who immediately vowed to wreak dire bodily harm upon my person. Seeing as how I was a scrawny bookish specimen, and she was amazonian in physique, I began to fear ever seeing my next birthday.

Confronted by my adversary after school, I had a wild idea and tried a desperate gambit. I informed the pugnacious Matasha that I was capable of making Voodoo dolls, and should she pummel me, she would rue the day. She glared at me, and said I was bluffing. I told her to just wait, as I would bring said doll to school the next day. She reluctantly allowed me to depart, with promises of wrack and ruin should my claim be untrue.

Dashing home, I whipped out my VP Shrunken Head Kit. I already had a head mostly prepared (they were made out of peeled, dried apples soaked in some sort of saline fluid), so I proceeded to make an uncanny likeness of my foe. I then made a body using the cotton stuffed outfit I cannibalized from a defunct Mego Batman action figure.

When confronted by Matasha the next day, I revealed my handiwork, as well as a long stickpin. My mad gambit paid off: gripped by superstitious dread, Matasha vowed to leave me be, and told me that should I require such, she would be willing to turn her prowess against anyone who gave me trouble.

I love it when a plan comes together.....

Master of Shrunken Head Juju,
-Aether

bendk
11-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Aether,
That was a hilarious turn of events. It must be true that a stroke of genius can sometimes spring from desperation. I remember you once mentioned that you grew up near Jon; it makes me wonder if you guys grew up in New Orleans, that voodoo gambit sounds so Louisiana-inspired

I got a kick out of these model ideas too. When I was little, though, I thought the monster hot rod series was akin to blasphemy - the monsters were not accorded the proper respect. Now, of course, they are some of my favorites. If I had to pick one from this series, it would probably be Cthulhu's Cthot Rod. The Dunwich Horror is great too. So is the Forgotten Inmate of Sefton Asylum. And Keziah Mason looks so much like those old Aurora witch models it's amazing. (If you look close, you can make out Brown Jenkin perched on her shoulder.) And I can almost picture the Aurora molds for the Deep One and Wilbur Whateley. Who's kidding who, I want all of 'em.

I didn't remember the Vincent Price shrunken head toy until I just checked eBay. They don't have the toy, but they do have an ad for it. I remember that ad distinctly; it was probably on the back of every other comic book I owned. I did have a bobblehead skull model that wore a German WWI helmet. It was one of those helmets that had the pointy spike on the top, and it had the flared black cross on the front. I kept it on the ledge in the back seat of our car, an old white Ford Torino, and I would be mesmerized by it - it always seemed to be laughing -no doubt this was the reason my parents let me get it. The most memorable thing about this toy was that every time my babysitter came over, I had to run out to the car and remove it. My babysitter grew up in France during the German Occupation of WWII (she was a GI war bride that came stateside) and my parents didn't want to upset her. I wish I had been astute enough to tell them "Hey, wrong war!"

ventriloquist
11-13-2005, 09:04 PM
hahaha just looked at that Horrora link... "Cthulhu's Cthot Rod"?! For some reason, these remind me of the Garbage Pail Kids.

Oddly enough, I think I had dinner in Evansville, IN, when I was driving across to WA. If only I had known, I could now be the proud owner of a Tyrannostein....

And btw, Aether, that's an awesome anecdote. :)

The Silent One
11-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm definitely the weird, talkative, sarcastic fellow at the back of the class, so I can vaguely relate... I wish I was (vas?) the Master of Shrunken Head Juju. Unfortunately, my adveraries are too dim-witted to be wary of these sort of things. Unless... Ia ia, Cthulhu fhtagn!
The Outer One (Mi-Go) and Fungus from Yuggoth (what is that?) are my favorites.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
I had all the Aurora Monsters, plus the Marvel heroes and the Man from U.N.C.L.E. Plus JFK sitting in the White House... The Forgottten Prisoner of Castlemare! --Cars? Ships?? Airplanes?!? Be a "normal kid"?! You've gotta be kidding, heh-heh. I recall that Shrunken Head thingy from maybe the back of comics or the Warren magazines. And there was Aurora's The Guillotine! That one got pulled from the market before I could get it. It came complete with a sliding blade.

paeng
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Related:

RIP, Forry

http://www.esplatter.com/news.php?id=1051

G. S. Carnivals
12-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Sad news, paeng. Yet another lamented loss. :(

Odalisque
12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Didn't HPL (or in this case, Ech'Pe'El, High Priest of Bubastis) dub FJA something like "the Effjay of Ackerman" for the purposes of his penchant of naming the Circle Members?

The Battle that Ended the Century refers to a potentate from a neighbouring kingdom, the Effjay of Akkamin... :cool:

Less flatteringly, the wriggling akmans of In the Walls of Eryx surely also refer to Forrest J. Ackerman. :eek:

I haven't forgotten everything from my Red Brain days!

G. S. Carnivals
12-18-2008, 01:25 AM

The Battle that Ended the Century refers to a potentate from a neighbouring kingdom, the Effjay of Akkamin... :cool:

Less flatteringly, the wriggling akmans of In the Walls of Eryx surely also refer to Forrest J. Ackerman. :eek:

I haven't forgotten everything from my Red Brain days!
"Meanwhile a potentate from a neighbouring kingdom, the Effjay of Akkamin (also known to himself as an amateur critic), expressed his frenzied disgust at the technique of the combatants, at the same time peddling photographs of the fighters (with himself in the foreground) at five cents each."
H. P. Lovecraft and Robert H. Barlow - "The Battle That Ended the Century (MS. Found in a Time Machine)"

Odalisque
12-18-2008, 10:42 AM
"Meanwhile a potentate from a neighbouring kingdom, the Effjay of Akkamin (also known to himself as an amateur critic), expressed his frenzied disgust at the technique of the combatants, at the same time peddling photographs of the fighters (with himself in the foreground) at five cents each."
H. P. Lovecraft and Robert H. Barlow - "The Battle That Ended the Century (MS. Found in a Time Machine)"

Quoting the whole sentence, the tone is definitely critical of the Effjay of Akkamin... Pretty well in line with the wriggling akmans of In the Walls of Eryx.

It is hard to believe that Lovecraft harboured a high opinion of him! :o