PDA

View Full Version : Woody Allen on the horror of everything

Malone
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Woody on life:

http://www.commonwealmagazine.org/woody

Funny how he has kids, though. Or are they all adopted? If not, is he a hypocrite or just displaying a blindspot in regard to the consequences of his philosophy?

Aeron
06-14-2010, 09:17 AM
"Everybody knows how awful the world is and what a terrible situation it is and each person distorts it in a certain way that enables him to get through. Some people distort it with religious things. Some people distort it with sports, with money, with love, with art, and they all have their own nonsense about what makes it meaningful, and all but nothing makes it meaningful. These things definitely serve a certain function, but in the end they all fail to give life meaning and everyone goes to his grave in a meaningless way."

Leave it to Woody Allen to tell it how it is.

matt cardin
06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
God, that interview is wonderful. Thanks a heap for the heads up. Years ago I was permanently and deeply marked by two of Allen's films that figure prominently in that interview, Hannah and Her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors. What he says about the Marx Brothers/Duck Soup scene in the former and his thoughts on the ending of the latter match pretty much exactly what I intuitively drew from them.

Again, thanks. Reading this interview has impacted my mood pretty significantly for the rest of the day.

Malone
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Glad you've enjoyed the interview, folks. I was wondering at the non-reaction when I posted it a month ago, and was starting to suspect that in reality the regulars here were just another bunch of life-affirming drones:-) I'm delighted to have been proven wrong!

Gray House
10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Excellent interview. I saw Stardust Memories recently, which has interesting philosophical content. Woody Allen considers it to be one of his best films. One thing that annoyed me slightly was when the character played by Allen gets shot and looks back through his life for something with meaning, he comes up with one thing, a "moment of contact" with another human being. I think I would have liked it better if he hadn't been able to come up with anything. But while Allen's character may have shared many of Allen's views, Allen was not playing himself. And in any case it's really a minor quibble about a very good film.

bendk
10-29-2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVPS8XBoBE&feature=related

Gray House
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Woody Allen movies are going toward the top of my Netflix queue. Pessimist, atheist, and a jazz fan!