When_MP_Attacks
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.livescience.com/culture/children-personality-adults-100804.html

gveranon
08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm trying to imagine Thomas Ligotti as a first-grader . . . :confused::eek:

starrysothoth
08-09-2010, 09:50 PM
That's some powerful evidence for determinism.

Ascrobius
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I am a therapist and someone who has specialized in child development and dealt with pathological processes, if you will, and the trajectory of mental illness for the better part of the last 20 years, not only in children but people of all ages, all the way up to working with Alzheimer's patients in their 80's and up, and with children as young as 4 years of age. Of course one needs to know or conjecture as to what contributes to "desirable" and "less desirable" outcomes throughout the course of "normal" development in order to be able to at least speculate as to where and how it went wrong if it, in fact, did, and what can be done in terms of interventions if a problem significantly impacts the social and emotional functioning of the client in question. What I end up having to do with clients I work with is essentially use anecdotal reports, historical documentation, clinical and diagnostic information, interviews, and so forth, to essentially reverse-engineer their lives by going back to the point of conception (because what happens in utero is absolutely critical) to the point where they've gotten to me and to the treatment environment I work in. Without getting into attachment theory and getting too scientific or technical, suffice it to say that what happens, or sometimes more importantly, what doesn't happen, from the moment of conception through the first 3 to 4 years of age, are THE formative years in the truest sense of the word, and the process of development is incredibly sensitive and vulnerable to disruption. The formation of attachments, the ability to trust that the world is a relatively safe, predictable place, essentially the way in which you internalize the external content of the world (Object Relations) and integrate it into your own cognitive schema, and so forth, is so vitally important that what happens (or doesn't) to an organism, especially one that is for whatever reason vulnerable during this critical period, that the developmental repercussions can be felt literally forever, or at least long after events do or do not occur. When the most basic needs aren't met consistently during this time the repercussions can impact development in ways that are extremely profound, lets just say that.