PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 1 in 10 Americans Depressed?

When_MP_Attacks
10-02-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpps/news/nearly-one-in-10-americans-depressed-study-dpgonc-20101001-fc_9897171

These surveys should obviously not be mistaken for rigorous diagnoses.

As the Great Recession continues, I expect to see many more such stories, with lots of sports page-type number-crunching of pre-Recession "depression stats" vs. those in 2010, 2011, 2012, etc.

A byproduct of these surveys and the superficial number-crunching that comes with them is the reinforcement of the notion that clinicial depression, including major clinical depression, is largely attributable to exogenous factors, rather than chemical misfires/pre-dispositions.

starrysothoth
10-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm surprised the figure is so low. The unemployment rate here in the US is a good 10-15%, foreclosures are enormous, record numbers of people are on food stamps, etc. Then you've got the other end of the spectrum, where contractors and entrepreneurs are still making money, but only by working their asses off like never before to keep their professions and operations afloat. I would guess real depression figures are a whole lot higher than what this study cites.

I'm not as well versed in psychology as many, but I would guess certain people may be pre-disposed to having a nasty depressive episode, and need only experience some traumatic event that trips off the chemicals in their brains.

njhorror
10-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised that it is so low, also.

I think that enormously stressful events can trigger biological depression.

Judge Holden
10-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I would argue that the depression of a scientific materialist is felt much more acutely than by those whose orientation to life precludes consumerism. The toys these folk had in mimicry of their cohorts have been taken away, and they perceive they had nothing. The slob who lost his house because he overpaid for it at the top of what was obviously a housing market peak is probably more depressed than the multitude whether American or not who never hand any 'thing' to lose. Their whining is indecent at best, and is likely to get more scorn than sympathy from me.

njhorror
10-02-2010, 04:44 PM

gveranon
10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I would argue that the depression of a scientific materialist is felt much more acutely than by those whose orientation to life precludes consumerism. The toys these folk had in mimicry of their cohorts have been taken away, and they perceive they had nothing. The slob who lost his house because he overpaid for it at the top of what was obviously a housing market peak is probably more depressed than the multitude whether American or not who never hand any 'thing' to lose. Their whining is indecent at best, and is likely to get more scorn than sympathy from me.

Did you actually read the article that your post is ostensibly a response to? The study found that the rate of depression is higher for the unemployed and those who can't work (possibly due to disability or illness). Women, young people, racial minorities, and chronically ill people are also more likely to be depressed. I.e., this is hitting people who are the most economically vulnerable, as one would expect. I sympathize with (and share) the anger that people have toward profligate Americans who wrecked the economy here and elsewhere, but the people who are suffering the most aren't the people who caused the problem.

Mr. D.
10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
My interpretation of this survey is that 9 out of 10 Americans live in a fantasy world.

Judge Holden
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, I read what you incorrectly call the results of the 'study' that in reality is little more than a marketing survey. Essentially a Rohrshach blot that allows you to project whatever your subconscious desires. Perhaps if they asked if they asked just the right leading questions we may have learned that the actual percentage of depressed Americans was thrice what was reported. In fact, one look at the self-help categories in bookstores both bricks and mortar and online belie the 'study's' conclusion. All in all a bunch of rubbish.

gveranon
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm also skeptical about this type of percentage-mongering study, and even more so when it's about something as nebulous as mental depression. I brought it up because the "scorn" you so proudly displayed in your first post was directed at "scientific materialists" who bought and lost overpriced houses -- while the article you were ostensibly responding to was about the problems of unemployed, socially marginal, and sick people. You're free, of course, to make a big show of scorn for anyone and everyone who's suffering in this economic crisis, even those who are getting the worst of it through no fault of their own. You can pretend they're all scientific materialists or consumerists or whatever ideological stock figure you enjoy sneering at. I just thought someone should call you on your b.s. On the other hand, the simplest and most obvious explanation (and your best defense) is that you didn't actually read the article before you posted the first time, did you?

Viva June
10-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I would argue that the depression of a scientific materialist is felt much more acutely than by those whose orientation to life precludes consumerism.
Exactly how is scientific materialism related to consumerism?

Bernician
10-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Or 9 out of 10 Americans live in a fog of emotion. Same as every where else.