PDA

View Full Version : "Introducing Ligotti"

bendk
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Have any of you read any of those "Introducing" books published by Totem Books? They are graphic novel type books that provide basic info on a subject. Kind of like Cliff Notes comic books. The titles include everything from "Introducing Existentialism" to "Introducing Postfeminism." They also cover a number of authors; mostly novelists and philosophers. Some of the ones I have read include: Marquis de Sade, Nietzsche, Kafka, Joyce, and Camus. These books work especially well with literary biographies. They can seamlessly go from biography to a literary work by use of graphics. My favorite in the series is "Introducing Kafka." Not just because he is one of my favorite authors, but because it is completely illustrated by one of my favorite comic artists, R. Crumb. This book is like a dream come true for me. If you haven't seen the documentary CRUMB directed by Terry Zwigoff, run, don't walk, to your nearest video store or library (or just sit there and add it to your Netflix queue). It is one of the best documentaries on an artist and his work that I have seen. It was the most critically praised movie of 1995. Zwigoff went on to direct BAD SANTA with Billy Bob Thornton, another classic. But I digress.

Some time ago, I e-mailed S.T. Joshi via his web site. It was just a brief note telling him that I enjoyed reading a couple of his books. But I also asked him if he ever considered approaching Totem Books with the idea of "Introducing Lovecraft." I can't think of another author whose work lends itself to graphic interpretation better than HPL's. With all the already-available artwork on Lovecraft and Joshi's knowledge of the subject, I think this book could be put together rather quickly.

The title of this post, Introducing Ligotti, I have to admit is just wishful thinking. I believe it could be a marvelous book though. Imagine a creepy artistic interpretation of the loft of Dr. Voke and the Ticket Man. But they don't even have a book on Poe yet, and he is the first horror author that they would publish - and rightfully so. And I don't know that TL has the fan base yet to make it economically attractive to the publisher. But I think a book on Lovecraft would outsell half of the books that they have already published.

eldritch00
10-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I've seen those but haven't read them. What I do have are several of the "...for Beginners" books from the unimaginatively-named Writers and Readers Publishing.

I wish something like Introducing Ligotti or Ligotti for Beginners could happen, but you're right that it probably won't. What I really want are more mass market reprints of his stuff; that will help things all around.

Maybe if we're done with the Reader's Guide, we can have the artists over here to do their little cartoons...but then, I don't know what else we can do with that.

N/A
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I've not seen the "Introducing..." books, but when I read the post it put me in mind of this: http://tinyurl.com/blvuy

The Silent One
10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I've not seen the "Introducing..." books, but when I read the post it put me in mind of this: http://tinyurl.com/blvuy
A Graphic Classics: Ligotti (preferably "The Night School", "The Glamour", "The Tsalal", "The Spectacles in the Drawer", MWINYD, "Dreams of a Mannikin", the poems TDLT and IHASPFTW, and "The Voice in the Bones", perhaps with "Masquerade of a Dead Sword", "Ghost Stories for the Dead", an illustrated "His Shadow Will Rise to a Higher House", and Notebook of the Night?) or Introducing...Ligotti would be absolutely fabulous, but obnoxiously unlikely.

waffles
10-15-2005, 05:03 PM
How about Ligotti for Dummies?

I'd love to see what kind of tips would be inside of the covers and Top-Ten lists would be included in the appendices.

Only 16 days before NaNoWriMo begins!

Cheers everyone!

Waff's