PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays

Tsalal Akbar
02-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Do you celebrate yours?

'Happy Birthday' always seems like a bad joke to me. The past few of mine have been aborted suicide attempts.

Spotbowserfido2
02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Mr. Akbar, I am a bit confused. Unless you are trying to garner a little attention, why else would you bother to piss on a fire you care nothing about?

DoktorH
02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
yep! drinking, presents for myself, maniacal cackling at the world for conspiring against me so diligently yet utterly failing to deprive me of delight for another year. horror movies, cartoons. not leaving the house or changing our of my pajamas for three days straight, telling off hateful old relatives, and otherwise just enjoying being myself and looking forward to another year of the same.

Also, I call my mom (she's not one of the hateful relatives) and thank her for giving birth to me in the first week of september so I always have a three-day weekend to celebrate on. it's the best birthday present ever, because I get to enjoy it anew every birthday!

I did get a bit introspective and mildly mopey before my 30th birthday because I realized I'd been living the same year over and over again for the past several years. Dad assured me this is perfectly normal, and that it's generally a good time to re-evaluate my routine and see if there's any bits I want to change.

so i did, and i take comfort in knowing that life works like that Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day," and that whatever I do will have little to no impact on the overall cycle of things so i may as well have fun with it.

Tsalal Akbar
02-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Mr. Akbar, I am a bit confused. Unless you are trying to garner a little attention, why else would you bother to piss on a fire you care nothing about?

I am a bit confused as well. Why bother bothering to respond to this thread?

DoktorH
02-15-2011, 09:17 AM

I am a bit confused as well. Why bother bothering to respond to this thread?

I interpreted Spotbowserfido's remark as a "if you don't like birthdays, why bring it up?" thing, which is a valid point.

if you're looking for not-miserable birthday celebration ideas, i'd say get a bunch of whatever you consider comfort food, watch your favorite shows/movies, goof off all day. The second panel of this comic strip (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/christmas) represents my approach to birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving, halloween, easter, weekends, and St Patrick's Day pretty well. The one that begins "JESUS. FRUITCAKE. CHRIST."

Tsalal Akbar
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Whatever bro. #### it then.

Dr. Bantham
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Please refrain from using foul language here. TLO is hosted by a third-party commercial host service provider and content is subject to their Terms of Service. Furthermore, membership here is open to folk the age of thirteen and over, and there have indeed been active contributing members at that age.

Aeron
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd like to celebrate my birthday in the room I was born sometime, would be interesting. Of course it's in an old abandoned hospital now, but it's still my portal into this world. I guess I'd have to sneak in with the birthday cake down creepy dark halls, the candles could light the way.

Viva June
02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
The presents are nice.

DoktorH
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Of course it's in an old abandoned hospital now, but it's still my portal into this world. I guess I'd have to sneak in with the birthday cake down creepy dark halls, the candles could light the way.

That is an awesome image. creeping down the dark halls of abandoned hospital with birthday cake. I can think of a couple horror movies that were set in abandoned hospitals (Session 9 and Deadgirl), and the image of birthday festivity trappings in either place is weird and wonderful.

The New Nonsense
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I'd like to celebrate my birthday in the room I was born sometime, would be interesting. Of course it's in an old abandoned hospital now, but it's still my portal into this world. I guess I'd have to sneak in with the birthday cake down creepy dark halls, the candles could light the way.

Only if you promise to create an art piece afterwards inspired by the event!

Tsalal Akbar
02-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Only if you promise to create an art piece afterwards inspired by the event!

Ha ha. Yeah, that would be the shhh um (no wait Dr. Bantham must be watching)...that would be the shiznit.

Aeron
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
It's not out of the question, I might even approach the authorities and attempt to get permission to investigate the building with a few decent cameras and lights to use as source material for future works. It's something I very much want to do before the building is destroyed. Across the walls of the second floor is an assortment of vintage "Aeron Alfrey" art from a spray paint can made when I was a teenager, heh. The building has been closed for a few decades and has grown into a disturbing relic of what it once was. I was last in the hospital about ten years ago and was actually filming a short horror film with friends, all footage of which has unfortunately been lost, along with my desire to direct movies. But we found a lower basement floor that had flooded out in 3 - 5 inches of water and there was an incredibly surreal room with this green carpet that had rotted and broken up into the water like moss. There was an assortment of hundreds of old toys that were floating and half submerged in the water, so incredibly bizarre to look at.

To rant on a bit more, I had a fever when I was a child, around the age of 3 or 4, and was taken to the hospital. I have a vivid memory of the room I was taken to which in my minds eye is a vast interior space with blank white walls that run up forever. I always wondered about that strangely high ceiling in my memory and discovered the reason for it ten years ago when I found the room, or one of the rooms very similar to where I'd been as a child. I saw those strangely high ceilings and it was a fascinating experience to merge a distant feverish dream from childhood into the frightening, dark, condemned, rotting, abandoned space it had become.