PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2005

eldritch00
10-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Er...yeah. :oops:

So are any of you signing up for NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) this year, or am I the only one insane enough to be involved in something like this? To be honest, I'm STILL of two minds about the whole thing, but like I said, I decided to sign up anyway and see where that takes me. It's my first time, so I'd love for us TLO members to be able to have our own little support group over at the NaNoWriMo forums.

unknown
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I've heard about that. between school and work, I don't have the time. perhaps during summer? If you do do it, awesome...keep us posted on your progress.

The Silent One
10-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Great idea! May participate.... Perhaps small press will prevail!

eldritch00
10-26-2005, 12:22 PM
If I don't post anything about this on December 01, it can only mean that I wasn't able to come up with anything worthwhile. :oops:

unknown, I sympathize with the concerns about balancing this with school/work/schoolwork. While I'm currently enjoying the semestral break right now, classes resume in the middle of November (a couple of days after my birthday!), and I have no idea how to handle the "heavy" courses I'll be teaching with this writing project. Hopefully, by that time, things are running smoothly already.

The Silent One, do let us know if you do decide to participate this year. David Niall Wilson (http://www.macabreink.com/news.htm) was around last year, and his NaNoWriMo project is going to be released by Five Star Press. While I'm not even thinking I can replicate his success with this, hey, I can hope, can I? And I won't be alone if you join in, too! Come on, man! :)

waffles
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I did this last year (and finished) and am going to do it this year too. It's lots of fun. Don't worry about writing anything good and just simply write. Good luck to all of you who participate.

eldritch00
10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Here goes...something. :oops: Do you mind if I add you as a friend on the NaNoWriMo site, waffles?

G. S. Carnivals
10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I was unaware of this project before. Excellent, noble, daunting, etc. I would try it if I had time, energy, and something to say at novel length. If Yogi Berra never said, "There's something to say about having something to say," he should have!

Imagine the challenges this project would pose to an accomplished short-short writer... A master of the pare-down would have to puff up! (A literary DeNiro, say, in "Raging Bull.") Isaac Asimov and Fredric Brown, both superlative short-short writers, were prolific novelists. No sweat there. Other masters of the short form, perhaps, would have been driven to tears or madness. A nod here to the sanctity of brevity. Arthur Porges. Jack Ritchie. R. Bretnor (of Ferdinand Feghoot fame). Etc.

49,000+ to go,
Phil

The Silent One
10-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I've always wanted to interweave several oddball narritives:

-A college student with a xenobiology obsession becomes even more obsessed with proving his roommate is an alien. And at this rate, he may be right... Humorous, but creepy.
-A seemingly very innocent perspective which Ligotti has used once or twice to great effect. A child finds his parents' behaviour very odd, and is starting to notice some of their actions have gone from eccentric to downright demented.
-The mind of a Dutch settler is cursed to live in the body of wolf, except on nights when the full moon is in view. He's recently moved his hunting grounds to a rather derelict portion of a thriving but inwardly decayed city.
-Insane playrights trapped in an old theater, unknowingly translating The King in Yellow into English from its original Middle French. Even more unpleasantly, it is leaking into our world via these demented auteurs in the most literal sense.
-And a devotee of "magick moste evill" has an existential crisis, but only after summoning something oddly sympathetic. This concept has been brewing in my psyche for a little while, as have the first two, so I think it will be quite enjoyable.
Too much? Tell me.

waffles
10-30-2005, 11:26 AM
To eldritch00,

I wouldn't mindbeing a friend on the nanowrimo site.

Hope you're drooling in anticipation (or constipation) of the upcoming month.

Cheers!

Waff's