PDA

View Full Version : Profiling Ligottiphiles

Dr. Bantham
12-16-2005, 05:07 PM
We have a few more female members of late, it seems. I checked the ratio for the members indicating gender and found that 10% are female. I wonder if this is indicative of Ligotti readers in general, or if it perhaps skewed by a narrowing effect relative to males being more inclined to join a literary discussion group and further designate their gender within their profile. Of all TLO members, only 45% designated gender within their profile. Apparently we are a confused element of the public, or merely apathetic. Or perhaps both...

On a tangent, I have often identified numerous similarities of interests and lifestyles with other TLO members, sometimes to the point of being downright uncanny. Sure, the common interest in Ligotti or weird fiction in general could account for a natural tendency for other parallels to become evident, but in many cases the statistical abberations are mind boggling.

aickmans_model
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
*ducks and covers* if i had only known that my userpic would be scrolling for all to see, i'd have picked something a bit more gender-neutral. in any case, i think the low ratio of female members has less to with few women reading weird fiction and more to do with the fact that most women just don't read, period. i work in a bookstore, and i rarely see females pick up anything other than harlequin romances and whatever oprah's put her stamp on lately. but i dislike women, and shouldn't really say anything on the subject at all.

in regards to lifestyle similarities, i've noticed a lot of people on the forum who listen to neo/apocalyptic folk music, myself included, but it's hard to say if one finds the literature and then the music, or vice versa. personally, i was a fan of both current 93 and ligotti for several years, before learning that they had collaborated; now durtro is putting out robert aickman anthologies and it's beginning to creep me out a little. but why does it happen? i don't know.

The Silent One
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I dunno. Perhaps it's just that there are less women on the Internet. And Aickman's Model, that is a tad sexist, no? After all, our link in Europe is run by Monika "Eddy" Angerhuber.
Yes, it seems middle-aged women tend towards rather pointless fiction, but isn't that a reflection of our society and the general intellect of population? Americans are mentally diluted by television and other mindless distractions. Such things as philosophy and sophistication mean nothing to them. Its just that the idiots among men won't even go into a bookstore. I, however, am proud to relish it.

KingPest
12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
i think most people....male and female...just dont read period...I know whenever I am seen with a book the first thing someone will ask me will be "is that for a class?" as if the only reason to be reading is because you were forced to...i dont think i have many prejudices but i have to tell you when i meet someone who doesnt like to read the first thought in my head is IDIOT!!!
btw i didnt get the feeling that aickmann's model was being sexist...as a male i tend to be disgusted by the stupidities of my own sex...if i was female (as i think aickmanns model is ) i would probably be more sensitive to the stupidities of females...
anyways where i am from i have no one to discuss literature with ...male or female...the guys would rather sit in front of the tv watching football and the girls would rather sit by the guys staring into space...i spend a lot of time alone....heehehee

Dr. Bantham
12-16-2005, 08:34 PM
*ducks and covers* if i had only known that my userpic would be scrolling for all to see, i'd have picked something a bit more gender-neutral.I have debated on whether the recent pics should include member albums as a matter of sensitivity, and this is a good case against such. I turned off the feature, though it may take a new pic or a cache clearing to revert to personal gallery exclusion. Incidentally, I had not noticed the pic until now, but was instead mused by my habit of viewing new member profiles as they join. It is neat to see where folk are from, or perhaps identify someone I already know personally or otherwise. Anyway, I had noticed that of the last six members, four are female. This is curious, since there were only seven out of 249 before this trend.in any case, i think the low ratio of female members has less to with few women reading weird fiction and more to do with the fact that most women just don't read, period. i work in a bookstore, and i rarely see females pick up anything other than harlequin romances and whatever oprah's put her stamp on lately. but i dislike women, and shouldn't really say anything on the subject at all.I am not going to touch that one. My comments were more stirred by the curiosity of our membership cross-section relative to society and literature. Ahem...
in regards to lifestyle similarities, i've noticed a lot of people on the forum who listen to neo/apocalyptic folk music, myself included, but it's hard to say if one finds the literature and then the music, or vice versa. personally, i was a fan of both current 93 and ligotti for several years, before learning that they had collaborated; now durtro is putting out robert aickman anthologies and it's beginning to creep me out a little. but why does it happen? i don't know.I adore C93 and Death in June, among others of the ilk. I read Ligotti first, though I was familiar with the bands by name prior to hearing of Ligotti. For some reason, I avoided them by instinct, labeling them in my mind as trite goth for some reason which I can not define. My instincts have never been so wrong...

unknown
12-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I've gotten a couple of my female friends into Ligotti. And some of our resemblances are rather odd. One of my favorite guitarists, Don Anderson of Agalloch (CHECK THEM OUT), wrote a blog entry on MWINYD, and I was totally shocked that one of my favorite guitarists/musicians was also into one of my favorite authors.

it's a frighteningly small world, afterall.

aickmans_model
12-17-2005, 08:07 PM
btw i didnt get the feeling that aickmann's model was being sexist...as a male i tend to be disgusted by the stupidities of my own sex...if i was female (as i think aickmanns model is ) i would probably be more sensitive to the stupidities of females...
anyways where i am from i have no one to discuss literature with ...male or female...the guys would rather sit in front of the tv watching football and the girls would rather sit by the guys staring into space...i spend a lot of time alone....heehehee

agreed. i wasn't intentionally trying to make misogynist remarks, but i am frustrated with the lack of interest most women my age take in literary things, and my inability to find anyone to discuss these things with, male or female. there seems to be a huge female element in the sci-fi/fantasy fandoms, and i'm not sure why it isn't the same with horror.

that being said, agalloch is in on this, too! good god!

The Silent One
12-18-2005, 03:44 PM

agreed. i wasn't intentionally trying to make misogynist remarks, but i am frustrated with the lack of interest most women my age take in literary things, and my inability to find anyone to discuss these things with, male or female. there seems to be a huge female element in the sci-fi/fantasy fandoms, and i'm not sure why it isn't the same with horror.

I get it. Sorry for that.

unknown
12-19-2005, 02:21 AM

you know Agalloch?! Good god! Their next cd is slated to come out early next year and will pretty much destroy any piece of music ever previously (and futurely) composed by man.

SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
12-19-2005, 04:54 PM
My intimate friend, Esther, and I started reading the new translation of Proust together at her prompting, but I recently gave in after 71 pages into Vol. 3. She's going the distance. I'm too into Ligotti as the true modern force to be reckconed with.

I read my first of Tom's stories in a Stephen Jones anthology. It was "The Tsalal." Continuing big into music mostly, I stumbled into Current 93, and I think that led me back to Tom ("Oh yeah, that creepy story...same guy").