PDA

View Full Version : TL & the Numinous sensation

yellowish haze
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
This has probably been discussed before but I still find it a good topic to exchange our impressions.
Haven't you ever had the impression that, whenever you read TL's fiction you can feel the author's presence in the air (or right behind your back)? It's as if he tried to watch over all of his readers with some obscure, unknown intentions. And it seems that the more you read his stories and the more you think you discover him, it is actually TL who in the end knows more about you than you about him.

I am not dying in a nightmare...

G. S. Carnivals
12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Slawek, yes. Now that you mention it, he hovers behind us. The Teatro Grottesco group of stories and "The Shadow, The Darkness" present works that are distinctly different from Ligotti's earlier works. These pull us into the narrative in unusual ways. We start to watch for soft black stars before our eyes or tents behind funky gas stations or we sense that that really bad stomach ache is beyond helpful medication. He is with us, and it is good. Great writing does this!

Nemonymous
12-24-2005, 04:07 AM
On the other hand, Numinous = Nemonymous.

One has to withdraw one's identity - as with an Onions-like dimmer-switch technique - in order to strengthen the puppet-strings one uses on one's readers.
des

The Silent One
12-24-2005, 11:35 AM
One reason Mark Samuels might think Ligotti's someone else: He's an all-transcending presence!
But seriously, your right about that. You vaguely expect the weird, expect your fate at the hands of an unseen force...

Nemonymous
12-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes, TSO, there is something powerful about the unfocussed source.

Many people said - quite unsolicited - when I first brought out 'Nemonymous' in 2001 that the stories actually changed (even if the words themselves didn't change) under the aura of a seeming rudderless authorship. The effect also accentuated the gestalt of the all the stories as well as accentuating their separateness. The best of all worlds. And this was not what I had predicted in setting this ball in motion.

As to MFS view of TL's imputed non-existence, I'm a bit bemused by this. I had not heard about it before reading this thread.

des

Nemonymous
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Wanted to exhume this thread in the light of TL's latest CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE HUMAN RACE.

Not Available
05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I recall reading that Ligotti is an author who, unlike most modern storytelling methods, believes that the author's voice should by completely present. You should know who the author is through the story. Unlike the minimalist Hemingway approach, TL fiction is imbued with his presence. You can't read a Ligotti story without feeling his stamp. That is his psychosis, his weirdness, the unique take that he brings to fiction. That is the nature of a unique genius like Ligotti is that there is no one like him. There are those that work within the genre he works in but no one's voice is as distinctive.

alec...

Nemonymous
05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
If that is true, Alec, do you consider that was intended by TL - or felt by you when reading the fiction - or both?

Also, if it is true what you say, I have never received that feeling from TL's fiction but, if I did, I would consider that as inimical to the philosophy of CATHR (at the point I've so far read it up to the text with Footnote 8) and, if it is not inimical to the whole of CATHR (when I have read it all eventually), then I shall be very intrigued how this particular trick of puppetry was achieved.