PDA

View Full Version : slime dynamics by ben woodard

susto
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
i was wondering if anyone has read this, and if so, could you comment on it?
ligotti is mentioned, so i am interested....

i ripped off this blurb:

Despite humanity s gradual ascent from clustered pools of it, slime is more often than not relegated
to a mere residue—the trail of a verminous life form, the trace of decomposition, or an entertaining
synthetic material—thereby leaving its generative and mutative associations with life neatly removed
from the human sphere of thought and existence. Arguing that slime is a viable physical and metaphysical
object necessary to produce a realist bio-philosophy void of anthrocentricity, this text explores
naturephilosophie, speculative realism, and contemporary science; hyperbolic representations of slime
found in the weird texts of HP Lovecraft and Thomas Ligotti; as well as survival horror films, video
games, and graphic novels, in order to present the dynamics of slime not only as the trace of life
but as the darkly vitalistic substance of life.

luciferfell
10-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Have not read it. But want to. If any one has read it I would be interested in what they think.

MadsPLP
12-04-2012, 06:33 AM
I've read it. It had a few interesting comments on slime and mushroom life, as well as on vitalism, but I didn't find it all that interesting, and I didn't really think I learned much new. But please bear in mind that my understanding of philosophy is somewhat limited.

The editing, proofreading, and interior design is of very poor standard (I'll find a few examples later), with many, many words missing, misspellings of titles and writers (which gives the impression that the author didn't exactly know anything about weird fiction - "Kadatth", "Whisper in Darkness", "Cthulloid", "Nyralhotep", "Necromicon", "Chtulu" among others - which in turn undermines the ethos of the text in other respects too), block quotation formatting entering the actual text, excentric punctuation style (or at least it looks like it, for a foreigner with English as a second language) etc., etc. It felt like reading an uncorrected draft.

The many missing words somehow obscured the meaning of the text, but overall, the text didn't seem to bring much in terms of significant news, although it did make some interesting suggestions regarding what qualifies as life (albeit suggestions I think I have heard before, with different arguments).

I can't really say whether it contributed to clarification of philosophical concepts, but I somewhat doubt it.