PDA

View Full Version : Clarence Darrow: America's Schopenhauer

Malone
10-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Not just a brilliant lawyer...

Say No To Life: Clarence Darrow: America's Schopenhauer (http://saynotolife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/clarence-darrow-americas-schopenhauer.html)

matt cardin
10-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Wow and holy crap. I'm fairly familiar with Darrow, but obviously not nearly enough, because I didn't know about this wing of his philosophical and moral thought. I just skimmed the excerpts at the linked page and found them utterly captivating. Thanks for this, Malone.

Malone
10-10-2013, 02:16 PM
My pleasure, Matt:-)

bendk
10-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Nice link, Malone, thanks. I have long been an admirer of Darrow because of the Scopes Trial. Less so for L&L. I follow the, unfortunately ongoing, creationism vs evolution battles. Darrow is not dissimilar to another author I have a high regard for, his contemporary, H.L. Mencken. (Ligotti has quoted Mencken in the past.) It is no surprise that S.T. Joshi has edited volumes on both of these great thinkers. I have read Closing Arguments by Darrow and the Mencken book On Religion. They are both excellent volumes. For those interested, Joshi is Editor-In-Chief of The American Rationalist, A Journal of Freethought. He has drafted some of his compatriots in the weird community, such as Robert M. Price, Donald Burlson, and William Harwood, to write articles. I like the format. Each bimonthly issue starts with a memorable quote, then there are articles or commentaries, book reviews, a classic reprint from such luminaries as Voltaire, Bierce, Mencken, and B. Russell, occasional correspondence, and Joshi writes the column "The Stupidity Watch" which is typically acerbic and very funny.

Malone
10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, bendk. Will take a look.

gveranon
10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
For those interested, Joshi is Editor-In-Chief of The American Rationalist, A Journal of Freethought. He has drafted some of his compatriots in the weird community, such as Robert M. Price, Donald Burlson, and William Harwood, to write articles. I like the format. Each bimonthly issue starts with a memorable quote, then there are articles or commentaries, book reviews, a classic reprint from such luminaries as Voltaire, Bierce, Mencken, and B. Russell, occasional correspondence, and Joshi writes the column "The Stupidity Watch" which is typically acerbic and very funny.

I've subscribed to The American Rationalist for the past couple of years -- first out of curiosity (I just wanted to see what it was) and then because I wouldn't want to miss Robert M. Price's erudite, incisive essays and reviews. I do sometimes enjoy the reprints and the articles by Donald R. Burleson and others, but Robert M. Price is the main reason I keep renewing. Also, not the least of the charms of The American Rationalist is that it's just a few pieces of paper folded and stapled together, like an old-fashioned newsletter! My problem with Joshi's "Stupidity Watch" is that he goes after the easiest of targets -- cretinous politicians, dogmatic religious demagogues, and the like: ridiculous people who aren't even worth his time. I suppose you could say that Mencken, Hitchens, et al. did the same thing, but their skewerings were more entertaining, at least for me.

mark_samuels
10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't know how accurate this re-enactment of the Mecca Temple NY debate is that took place between Clarence Darrow and GKC, but it's fun to watch.

Clarence Darrow v G.K. Chesterton - ACS Season IV - YouTube

Mark S.

gveranon
10-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't think Chesterton has been well-served by his admirers, either here or in other re-enactments I've seen. Perhaps an author should be more wary of his admirers than of his enemies (a paradox Chesterton might have appreciated!).

mark_samuels
10-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Yes, I suspect GKC possessed a rumbustious twinkle in real-life that the rather stiff performance in this video re-enactment doesn't capture.

Mark S.