PDA

View Full Version : Gurdjieff and Gnosticism

Druidic
07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
For any interested in Gurdjieff and Gnosticism, a very controversial article.

http://www.dar-al-masnavi.org/mevlevi-vs-gurdjieffism.html

This, too, is good and perhaps easier reading. Who Needs The Higgs :

http://whoneedsthehiggs.blogspot.com/p/stand-alone-connected.html

subject6
07-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Thank you for this post, Druidic. The Gurdjieff work, and specifically its radical assertions around agency, is remarkably compelling and certainly relevant to a critical but determined effort to grasp the potential of human experience.

Druidic
07-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words, subject6!

The following definition of what Gurdjieff called Formatory Thinking is taken from the Esoteric Glossary:The formatory apparatus is Ouspensky's term for the mechanical aspect of the lower intellectual center. The natural function of this center is storage of information and its associative retrieval. The term formatory thinking Is used when this function replaces the less mechanical aspects of thinking. Formatory thinking is characterized by insensitivity to context, black and white statements or strictly agreeing or disagreeing. Repeating by rote and not taking specific circumstance into account are the main characteristics of formatory thinking. Mouravieff states the the human intellect is blind to the 'third force.' This is specially true of formatory thinking.

A good definition.Recently I was reading a critic who found some of Gurdjieff’s claims so outrageous as to be truly humorous. Apparently his favorite was Gurdjieff’s insistence that the actions of the sleeping man, his life and death, invariably “feed the Moon.” It struck him as hysterical. I suppose he would have laughed even harder if he came across the possible alternative for a seeker who doesn’t want to become lunar nourishment: To become “good fertilizer” instead.

Sometimes we become so blind to the obvious, things have to be restated in a new way or we dismiss them from serious consideration; familiarity has dulled us to their truth. In Beelzebub’s Tales, Gurdjieff talks of a “mad” planet where the inhabitants live in a near psychotic state. Their favorite activity is a game Beelzebub dubs “Five Against One” and its popularity never grows old. The natives call this Game ‘War’. {“Five to one/one in five/ No one here gets out alive…”) For me, G.’s talk of feeding the Moon wasn’t especially mystical. Our actions can either join the general lunacy or we can try for something better. Small (?) things like leaving a decent legacy behind at our death, a legacy that doesn’t feed into the general madness but just provides “good fertilizer” for those who come after.

Did G. mean literally (as Colin Wilson believed he did) that mechanical man feeds the Moon at the moment of Death? It’s certainly possible but it doesn’t interest me because I can’t verify it. I can only verify the truth of his words as that truth resonates in me. Like so much else, what you bring determines what you take away. One look at this damned planet shows that even today the appeal of some games is enduring.

Just found some interesting video of Gurdjieff. It seems genuine.

Gurdjieff - Rare Remarkable - YouTube