PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between Philosophers and Psychologists

gveranon
03-01-2015, 03:08 AM
This is actually pretty funny. Helen DeWitt on the difference between philosophers and psychologists, and the need for a blog for suicidal philosophers: paperpools: Philosophers and Psychologists (http://paperpools.blogspot.com/2007/05/philosophers-and-psychologists.html)

Michael
03-01-2015, 02:35 PM
This is kinda dead on. Especially clinical psychologists. Clinical psychologists learn, til it's muscle memory, that you must validate, then you can say something diametrically opposed to the original position. Philosophy, you learn a good offense is the best defense. Attack hard and fast (and oftentimes obnoxiously). Great debating skills but definitely off putting when the distinctions are ultimately minor, sometimes unimportant, ones.
She sound like a great person, sorry to hear she's not here anymore.

gveranon
03-01-2015, 09:06 PM
This is kinda dead on. Especially clinical psychologists. Clinical psychologists learn, til it's muscle memory, that you must validate, then you can say something diametrically opposed to the original position. Philosophy, you learn a good offense is the best defense. Attack hard and fast (and oftentimes obnoxiously). Great debating skills but definitely off putting when the distinctions are ultimately minor, sometimes unimportant, ones.

In my experience, some workplace managers and training class instructors follow the psychologist approach. It's a disorienting experience to be (dis)agreed with in such a way. It reminds me of being in grade school -- even kids start to pick up on this at some point.

She sound like a great person, sorry to hear she's not here anymore.

I agree with this sentiment re Kathy Wilkes (based on reading the obit). Helen DeWitt is still alive. I've slowly been reading Helen DeWitt's excellent novel The Last Samurai over the past month or so, and there are a lot of interesting posts on her blog.