THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK (https://www.ligotti.net/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Polls (https://www.ligotti.net/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Your Other Passions (https://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=9624)

Revenant 05-19-2015 06:48 PM

Your Other Passions

Is passion too strong a word? Ok, put it this way: aside from literature, what is your preferred way to spend your free time? I won't use the word "hobby," but what would you call it?

Michael 05-19-2015 06:56 PM

Re: Your Other Passions

Think this is a great question. I've been lucky enough to have a passion that is professional and one that is personal (besides literature). Don't know if that's reading too much into the question but I hope it's okay if I answer it this way.

Professional: I have the great fortune to run a clinic for abused and neglected children. Been in this field in some way, shape, or form since I was 18. Don't think I could do anything else at this point. I love doing this work.

Personal (besides literature): I've trained in martial arts since I was 12. A lot of different styles but mainly TKD, Muay Thai, Western boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The self-defense aspect was what attracted me initially. The neighborhood I grew up in was pretty rough. In some neighborhoods kids grow up traveling to Europe every summer. In my neighborhood you had to know how to fight. Kind of like how you need to know how to change a flat tire. I kept at it because I loved the Eastern philosophy imbued in most Asian martial arts.

Again, think this is a great question. Thanks for posting it.

Revenant 05-19-2015 08:19 PM

Thank you Michael for your response. My question is totally open ended, so your answer was perfect.

Sad Marsh Ghost 05-19-2015 09:13 PM

Don't think I've 'come out' on here yet, but I'm an agoraphobe who doesn't leave the house at all, so my passions are somewhat limited. When I'm not reading or writing horror fiction then I'm listening to audio dramas or watching cult/world cinema.

Over the past year I have become besotted with 1960s gothic soap opera Dark Shadows, and have watched every single episode (with a reconstruction for the single missing one). I'm now catching up on the audio continuation, which is terrific. In-between those I'm currently going through the first three Silent Hill videogames, which are essential weird fiction despite being part of a generally infantile medium.

miguel1984 05-19-2015 10:12 PM

I am kind of an agoraphobe too; for the last two and a half years it was hard to leave the house. But a few days ago I dreamed I moved to a big city where one of my sisters live, found a job and studied theatre, so I decided to do just that.

Druidic 05-19-2015 10:34 PM

Agoraphobia responds extremely well to desensitization therapy. It works, from my experience, better than anti-anxiety medications although one could combine both approaches if needed.

Treatment For Agoraphobia: Systematic desensitization in the treatment of anxiety

Justin Isis 05-20-2015 12:11 AM

Having sex with teenage girls who work in clothing stores of brands I like (i.e. MA*RS, d.i.a., Rienda etc.), buying new clothes, doing cocaine LSD and mollies, freestyle rapping in public, scoring fast cash through various scams, clubbing every weekend, occasionally attending Latin Mass to hear the liturgy performed properly. 

Fenris Technique 05-20-2015 09:35 AM

Video games, brewing, home repair projects, writing, and correcting all those people on the internet who have the audacity to be wrong about something.

Oh . . . and drinking that which has been brewed.

Druidic 05-20-2015 09:51 AM

Fast and elegant cars. Unfortunately, I only own one...

Robert Adam Gilmour 05-20-2015 10:33 AM

Walking in the countryside and seeing the changes through the seasons. Finding new paths to walk is exciting.

Comfortable long socks.

Cranberry/Raspberry drinks.