THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK (https://www.ligotti.net/index.php)
-   Personal (https://www.ligotti.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   My Greatest Sin (https://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=4219)

G. S. Carnivals 05-30-2010 02:50 PM

My Greatest Sin

I never registered for the draft when I turned 18 in 1975.

How have you transgressed?

trieffiewiles 05-30-2010 04:56 PM

Re: My Greatest Sin

I once test drove a car with no intention of buying one. I am not sure if it was a legitimate transgression though because it wasn't a Lexus.

Mr. D. 05-30-2010 06:00 PM

I've committed so many sins over the years that it would be difficult to pick out just one as the all time worst.

njhorror 05-30-2010 06:04 PM

Same.

Russell Nash 05-30-2010 09:47 PM

It depends on the meaning of sin.

If we talk about the 10 commandments, I don't follow numbers: 1 (I have no God), 2 (I use the word "God" in vain everyday), 3 (I don't keep the Sabbath holy), and probably 10 (I covet a few things (only?) that belong to my neighbor).

If we talk about the 7 deadly sins, I have most of them: Wrath, Vainglory, Despair, Laziness.

If we talk about the original sin, I ask, who would be happy in the Garden of Eden with a pacifier in his mouth? We are much better off now, with all our miseries than worshiping chimeras.

However, my greatest sin might be:

When I was 10 or 11, I bought a magazine for kids, and after giving the salesperson the right change, and leaving, he called me back, saying that my change was wrong, after coming back, he realized that it was the right change after all. When leaving again, I whispered: "why don't you die, old man!" The salesperson died the following day when crossing a bridge, was hit by a van and died almost instantaneously. After watching "The Medusa Touch" with Richard Burton, I believed that I killed the man, with some invisible power. For many years, later, I read many articles about telepathy, telekinesis, and so on. Indeed, I was frightened of some sixth sense I might have. Although, years later, I came to the conclusion that the old man died in an accident, and I wasn't responsible, I started enjoying wishing my enemies the worst of all evils: death, agonizing death. I forgot it along the years, but about 5 years ago, I practiced my power again with two of my colleagues: one, by coincidence, was told by his doctor he had a rare sickness and had to leave work for good, and the second one, is almost about to die. He resists but I know he will die. My greatest sin is to enjoy when my enemies suffer, and I enjoy that very much. Who doesn't? I wonder.

trieffiewiles 05-31-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals (Post 46246)

This was the first post, I was under the assumption that Carnivals was being clever and wanted the thread to be halfway humorous for a change.

I once got caught leaking notes on uranium enrichment to the Ayatolla of Iran.

trieffiewiles 05-31-2010 12:54 AM

Once I signaled left turn with my hand while my blinker signaled right on a barren road at 1:00 a.m.

Russell Nash 05-31-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trieffiewiles (Post 46274)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals (Post 46246)

This was the first post, I was under the assumption that Carnivals was being clever and wanted the thread to be halfway humorous for a change.

So was I.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lG-K_t8Qlv...gui%C3%B1o.jpg

If I had such an unheard-of power, of killing with my mind, just by wishing it, as I described in the second part of my comment, by now, instead of posting my comments here, I would be "taking over the world". Don't you think so?

http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Erorder/brain.gif

G. S. Carnivals 05-31-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trieffiewiles (Post 46274)
I was under the assumption that Carnivals was being clever and wanted the thread to be halfway humorous for a change,

I am dead serious, for once.

Evans 05-31-2010 12:56 PM

Years ago there used to be an interesting book on herbal medicine in my old school library, years later there still is an interesting book on herbal medicine in my library.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Nash (Post 46273)
...If we talk about the original sin, I ask, who would be happy in the Garden of Eden with a pacifier in his mouth? We are much better off now, with all our miseries than worshiping chimeras...

Interestingly, put like that, wouldn't the pre Tree of Knowledge business be rather like Ligotti's ideal world - an ever continueing reality where the ego and and the pain of consciousness are anulled?