THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK (https://www.ligotti.net/index.php)
-   Other Authors (https://www.ligotti.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   M. John Harrison (https://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=12057)

Robin Davies 10-11-2017 01:33 PM

M. John Harrison

A recent interview about his new short story collection contains a few interesting comments about fantasy (with mentions of Machen and de la Mare):

bendk 10-11-2017 02:14 PM

Re: M. John Harrison

I've read some his stories and have enjoyed them. What do you and others here consider his best work?

Sad Marsh Ghost 10-11-2017 02:43 PM

Good writer, though he pronounced Machen incorrectly. I disagree with some of his views on fantasy fiction, as I can enjoy a certain style of epic fantasy outside of my admitted preference for the liminal fantasies of Aickman/de la Mare/Machen, but it's nice to see somebody able to articulate their views well.

He lives in the same county as I do, oddly.

Robin Davies 10-11-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendk (Post 142190)
I've read some his stories and have enjoyed them. What do you and others here consider his best work?

The only ones I'm not keen on are Nova Swing and Empty Space.
I would strongly recommend Things That Never Happen which contains most of his best short stories, and the magnificent novel The Course of the Heart.

Ibrahim 10-11-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

The Course of the Heart - although that's highly subjective because it's the first work of his i encountered, at the exact time i discovered the Machen and Yeats stories that dealt with similar subject matter and coming from more traditional fantastical modes as i did, this whole new continuum was like a welcome slap in the face; seeing the fantastic painted from the vantage point of perfectly described everyday reality. Immanence vs. transcendence done really well.
He is a master stylist anyway, so it all comes equally recommended.

Which stories of his have you read, bendk ( i ask also in a sincere attempt to look at some common ground, which, in the very recent past, we have not perhaps had occasion to do ) ?

Ibrahim 10-11-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 142191)
Good writer, though he pronounced Machen incorrectly. I disagree with some of his views on fantasy fiction, as I can enjoy a certain style of epic fantasy outside of my admitted preference for the liminal fantasies of Aickman/de la Mare/Machen, but it's nice to see somebody able to articulate their views well.

...how is Machen pronounced?

Ibrahim 10-11-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies (Post 142192)
Quote:

The only ones I'm not keen on are Nova Swing and Empty Space.
I would strongly recommend Things That Never Happen which contains most of his best short stories, and the magnificent novel The Course of the Heart.

Haven't read Empty Space yet. What's wrong with it?

Sad Marsh Ghost 10-11-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahim (Post 142194)
Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 142191)

Rhymes with bracken, so 'Macken'.

Zaharoff 10-11-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 142197)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahim (Post 142194)

Rhymes with bracken, so 'Macken'.

I think that is a common misconception.
I pronounced him Makin' (rhymes with breakin' ) for decades until I read corrections a few years ago.
Wonder if there is a geographic preference.
It wasn't until I started visiting Britain (then called England) back in the 80s and heard local pronunciations.
Leicester, Pall Mall, Worcestershire, Thames, etc ...
My inner transcriber had everything bungled.

Druidic 10-11-2017 09:15 PM

Back in the 70's, Gwynne Phillips, my (then) wife's great grandmother, taught me the proper pronunciation of Machen's name. A wonderful woman who had letters from Dunsany and Bob Howard and who never missed an issue of Punch. How often we would debate on Lovecraft! She complained that she always felt he was trying to scare himself. I argued that's what great horror writers do. Probably the most remarkable woman I've ever known.

In the early 80's I also heard the proper pronunciation in Carpenter's "The Fog." "Old Man Machen."