THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK (https://www.ligotti.net/index.php)
-   Film (https://www.ligotti.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can you recommend a rather misty film... (https://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=11455)

qcrisp 12-17-2016 03:30 PM

Can you recommend a rather misty film...

... with an Anglo-Saxon tinge to it?

The Robert Zemeckis Beowulf looks so inexpressibly vile that I'd rather knock out my own teeth one by one than watch it, but if there were a film that captures something of the atmosphere of the original epic poem, even if it's an entirely different story, that would be good.

Basically, it's a very misty day here in north Kent/southeast London, I'm about to cook dinner, and, if I have time tonight, want to relax for once.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

ChildofOldLeech 12-17-2016 04:15 PM

Re: Can you recommend a rather misty film...

Would Penda's Fen perhaps meet the requirements you've specified?

Nirvana In Karma 12-17-2016 04:21 PM

Valhalla Rising was decent. Don't know if I'd watch it again, though.

qcrisp 12-17-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChildofOldLeech (Post 131776)
Would Penda's Fen perhaps meet the requirements you've specified?

It would. However, I won't be watching it tonight as I saw it for the second time fairly recently.

qcrisp 12-17-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma (Post 131777)
Valhalla Rising was decent. Don't know if I'd watch it again, though.

I've just checked the trailer - no obvious CGI, which is a good start. It might work. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but it seems to lack A-list actors, too, which is also a big plus.

Other suggestions are welcome - if I don't have time to watch tonight, I might do so tomorrow.

Robert Adam Gilmour 12-17-2016 05:38 PM

Might not be a leading man in America (apart from Hannibal) but I think Mads Mikkelsen definitely a-list in europe. And he's great.

Ibrahim 12-17-2016 06:26 PM

Well, you're probably already watching something, but...The adaptation of James' A Warning To The Curious, though not a full length film, obviously.

& a charming, underrated & unpretentious Film That Has Some Mist In It, is mcTiernan's The 13th Warrior, based on Michael Crichton's book Eaters of the Dead which if i'm not mistaken takes its inspiration in turn from the Beowulf saga.

qcrisp 12-17-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahim (Post 131788)
Well, you're probably already watching something, but...The adaptation of James' A Warning To The Curious, though not a full length film, obviously.

& a charming, underrated & unpretentious Film That Has Some Mist In It, is mcTiernan's The 13th Warrior, based on Michael Crichton's book Eaters of the Dead which if i'm not mistaken takes its inspiration in turn from the Beowulf saga.

Thank you. I've had to postpone my film-watching till tomorrow anyway, so will look this up.

miguel1984 12-18-2016 12:50 AM

Well, I was going to recommend Valhalla Rising too. Good one, Nirvana.

ramonoski 12-18-2016 12:23 PM

Not much mist in it, but as far as mood and tone is concerned I'm inclined to recommend A Field in England