Thread: Video Games
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005   #7
DeathfareDevil
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 21,143, Level: 100 Points: 21,143, Level: 100 Points: 21,143, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Video Games

There's a series called "Silent Hill," and while I've only played the second of the trilogy, I can safely say that this has to be the most Ligottian series of video games in gaming history.

A few years ago, a friend of mine left in my possession both his Playstation 2 and his copy of SH2 -- I played the game, without sleeping much, over the course of a week until I had "beaten" it. This was the only game ever to a) supply me with nightmares, and b) spook me on the level of good, weird film and literature. Whoever designed the thing is a mad genius.

I remember little about the plot, but I must say disorientation and dubiety are sort of the selling points of the game. From a third-person, above-and-behind perspective, you begin the game on a dark, misty street in the middle of nowhere (it reminded me somewhat of the beginning of the flick "An American Werewolf In London," whose first few minutes always freaked me out). After wandering around for a bit, listening to ominous and unidentifiable background noises (always somewhere out in the fog, slithering and groaning beyond your field of vision), you stumble into a desolate little town (truly in a foreign land) full of abandoned cars, abandoned houses, abandoned stores, etc, whereupon you discover a few hints at your "mission" -- one of which is a transistor radio that only begins to emit wordless static when "something bad" is approaching you. And let me tell you, before too long, you really, REALLY begin to dread hearing that sound, the hiss of radio static coming to life. You have to play the game to fully comprehend it. On a much lower scale, it's sort of like those first few moments of an anxiety attack, when you know something just shifted "out of your favor," and things only are going to get worse.

Anyway, the point of the game is to find your wife, who disappeared into this town some time ago. Ultimately you end up crossing a lake at the edge of town to explore an insane asylum (without which any Ligottian video game would be incomplete), but I'll go no further than that, in case any of you decide to check out this game.

What is so specifically "Ligottian" about Silent Hill 2, though, apart from the atmosphere (which, I'm telling you, is claustrophobically tense), is the special brand of beasties that regularly shamble toward you from out of the fog. Like a combination of the distorted, out-of-time images from the movie Jacob's Ladder, and something from HR Giger's imagination, these things will have arms and legs in the wrong places, or will move with loathesomely unfamiliar locomotion, or will have too many mouths ... that sort of thing. And they get weirder and more twisted as the game progresses. Even if I wanted to describe to you the "final boss," I'm not sure I could. The visuals (if not the game itself) were designed by a Japanese artist who clearly has an acute vision of the deranged (I'm going to look up his name later), and whose work makes most other video games look like "Muppet Baby" cartoons.

Honestly, even if you're not a gamer, this one is worth renting an entire Playstation 2 from Blockbuster (or wherever).

Here's a "beastie":
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/014/0...g_1283626.html

Here, from the asylum, is a lovely nurse whose hippocratic allegiance seems to have disintegrated some time ago (along with her face, apparently):
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/014/0...g_1283639.html

Here's the proper first page of that particular gallery:
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/014/014904.html

This page, http://www.black-helix.com/is/dead/ , looks to be pretty extensive in its coverage of the whole SH series (I've only just read there of a fourth SH); but beware: should you play the game, the best part is feeling lost and clueless as to what the hell is going on. So "research" may not be the best idea.
DeathfareDevil is offline   Reply With Quote