View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017   #30
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: The Supernatural

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
I suppose a religious person might respond by claiming that it's more accurate to say that the aforementioned traditions, while playing a significant role in the development of Judeo-Christian beliefs, are incomplete insofar as they only point to the truth.
Yes, that is a good response. So long as they acknowledge the significant role of other religions in the development of their own, unlike many others. No religion has ever developed in a vacuum, but they still possess crucial differences, true.
You know, of course, that I'm playing devil's advocate. I'd actually love to hear a response from someone who is actually religious. They might be able to provide a better response.
My prayers were quickly answered:

“I do not see why certain other forms of religion cannot approach (through prefigurement of, or subsequent influence by,) the final truth of traditional Catholicism. The central event in the history of mankind is the Incarnation; this is the axis upon which mankind’s eternal destiny turns. The attitude one takes to that event colours all other assent propositions that follow from it." ~ M.S.

I believe this a claim similar to the one I gave before, but with a bit more finesse. His use of the term "final truth" is, I believe, equivalent to my own use of "final cause."

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (02-14-2017), Mithras (02-13-2017)