eldritch00
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,077, Level: 90 Points: 17,077, Level: 90 Points: 17,077, Level: 90
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via ICQ to eldritch00 Send a message via Yahoo to eldritch00
Re: American Supernatural Tales

This is a wonderful anthology, not just for the fiction included but for Joshi's insightful editorial comments. I'd like to mention--only because no one has yet--Jackson's tale, which is one of my favorite short stories.

It is nice to see TL in Penguin Classics. A few other authors that Joshi speculates could "..survive the relentless winnowing of posterity" are Caitlin R. Kiernan and Norman Partridge. I am unfamiliar with the work of these two authors. I will have to remedy that.
I haven't read much Partridge, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Kiernan. Every single work of hers I've loved, but for those new to her work, To Charles Fort, with Love is a solid collection of short fiction. Many say that her first collection Tales of Pain and Wonder is superior, but I've yet to read that. Thankfully, Subterranean is reissuing it.

I must also say that Kiernan's background in paleontology lends a scientific feel to her work, while at the same time her treatment of the supernatural borders on the mythic. I've always considered this combination a key to her success as an author capable of working in an original way the cosmic horror that Lovecraft specialized in.

The Dry Salvages is a short science fiction novel--partly set in a spaceship in a tale of First Contact--that I would consider truly Lovecraftian. I've always enjoyed the more SF side of HPL, and The Dry Salvages certainly fits the bill.

"When the emptiness in you grows too large
You fill its vaulted chambers with the ash of memory
With the dust of desire."
- PZB
eldritch00 is offline   Reply With Quote