View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014   #73
Justin Isis
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Octavia E. Butler against Lovecraft (World Fantasy Award).

Wasn't there a Wells book where he wipes out all Muslims worldwide in order to establish Utopia? If I remember right it included airplane (then super science fiction tech) raids on Mecca.

It's interesting to note what the present does and doesn't let the past get away with. Most people wouldn't think of rich Harvard graduates who got away with irresponsible murder because their parents kept bailing them out as their idea of counter cultural heroes, but William S Burroughs. M.P. Shiel probably isn't well-known enough for the child molester revelations to generate much interest. I remember Arthur Koestler - at present pretty obscure but once well-known - got dug back up for a while because it came out that he was a serial rapist. 

It's nothing new, Catullus and other classical writers were banned through much of the 19th century, and Shakespeare got Bowdlerized. I wonder if there's a statute of limitations...haven't heard many recent attacks on Ovid despite him recommending rape...

Current society isn't much different from the Victorians...ask anyone who has failed a job interview because of the wrong pictures of them coming up on Google...in some respects it is worse than the 19th century.
5 Thanks From:
Alarm Agent (09-08-2014), Druidic (09-06-2014), mark_samuels (09-06-2014), Murony_Pyre (09-07-2014), qcrisp (09-07-2014)