Thread: Pathologic
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017   #3
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Pathologic

Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post
Yeah, Pathologic has a very Ligottian vibe to it. If any one is wanting to check it out though, it might be worth waiting for the forthcoming remake of the game, which can be sampled by playing the free, standalone, pre-alpha demo, 'Pathologic: The Marble Nest.'

I think the best summation I can think of for Pathologic is that it is one of the most enjoyable forms of not having fun in the history of video games. ;) But then, even Ice Pick Lodge themselves have said that it isn't necessarily meant to be fun to play. It's meant to punish you. In some ways, it feels very much like a video game take on Russian literature.

Also worth mentioning is Ice Pick Lodge's other notable title, 'The Void'. Not so much of the Ligottian atmosphere with that one, but it is one of the most surreal, and in parts beautiful, video games I've ever come across.
I'm glad to meet another Pathologic player here. I've seen Marble Nest videos on youtube but always thought it's an online game. Thanks for telling me about it and I'll check out The Void.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote