Thread: Jane
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009   #40
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Jane

I have today reached the end of "Jane". That is to say the final chapter now exists in draft form. There is still much work to do. From the start, I was very vague as to how the novel was to end. And important elements of the ending didn't occur to me until I was in the process of writing the last chapter. At the moment, I'm very pleased by the way in which the book will end. It seems to me an extraordinarily uplifting conclusion. Here, in draft form, are the final paragraphs:

Reaching out into the dimness of the auditorium, I squeezed the hand of Nicola, the Surrey girl in the next seat. She returned my pressure.

“That,” said Nicola as we emerged from the theatre, “is the finest show I’ve ever seen.”

“Life,” I replied, “is a fine show.”

We stepped out into the street, illuminated by many flambeaux, light reflected in puddles left by a recent shower. Heavily laden, an omnibus trundled past, freighted with revellers – laughing, singing. A pair of fine ladies in exquisite evening gowns and plumed headdresses clambered into a cab. The driver flicked the reins and the wheels clattered upon the cobbles. Onions, frying on a street trader’s brazier filled the air with a heavy scent. Barguin handed round the last of her honeycake candies. Placing one on my tongue, its perfumed sweetness filled my mouth.

The sweet seemed a metaphor for what life might be, and perhaps would be. I smiled at the reflection – and at my reflection, in a puddle. Daughters – I hope that your lives will be filled with such joy as was mine at that moment.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
candy (05-04-2009), Daisy (05-05-2009)