View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010   #48
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: The temptation to NOT exist

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Nash View Post
When I get up every morning I wonder why I don’t jump off my balcony. Why not? Non-existence is easier! Just why are we still living our lives if NOBODY and NOTHING seems to care about us? Nothing cares whether we live or we die. Our sun is going to be there tomorrow, with or without us, “earth abides”.

Have you ever experience this fear… of living here, right now, without knowing why…?
Nope. I accept the fact that any reason or meaning can only be applied retroactively and is entirely subjective, so after I'm dead it will be up to someone else to decide what purpose I served and how well I served it, if they want to do so. Whatever they do won't make a difference to me in the slightest at that point, but it may amuse some people who are not dead at that point.

Earth abides, yes, and to a lesser extent, so do various species on it, including a particularly invasive species of tool-using primate that has spread like ambulatory kudzu with opposable thumbs.

like many other organisms, I resort to a basic hedonism. Seek pleasure. avoid pain. repeat. Use brain to distinguish pleasures with painful after-effects from pleasures that can be repeated with little to no discernible negative consequence.
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote