View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016   #21
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: The scourge of science fiction/fantasy/horror franchises and geek culture?

I just seen the awful title Tekken 7: Fated Retribution and it reminded me of this post I made on other forums.
It's kind of funny but unpleasant to imagine the people who think this trend is cool.

=======================
Something I used to associate with comics when they were attempting to make a storyline seem important but loads of games and blockbuster films do it now. It basically looks like a hackish attempt at gravity or awe. I'm not saying everything with these subtitles are bad, but better writers dont tend to use them.
You may want to dispute some of my examples or point out why you think they make something sound the way they do.

Requiem (the worst, I'd say)
Retribution (almost as bad)
Revenge
Revelation(s)
Ressurrection
Redemption
Revolution
Reborn
Rebirth
New Beginning
Awakening
Evolution
Insurrection
One More Day
Brand New Day
Aftermath
Exodus
Ultimatum
Convergence
Osmosis
Legacy (or Legacies)
Origin(s)
Big Time
Last Stand
Tipping Point
Crisis
Extinction
Extermination
Inception
Deception
Rising
Risen
Reckoning
Wrath
Unbound
Vengeance
Judgement
Defiance
Devastation
Absolution
Desperation
xtreme
x-treme
eXtreme

Terminator: Salvation is a perfect example.

Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem sounds especially dumb.

Yahtzee in particular made fun of them and when Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs came out he joked that the publisher probably said "can't we just call it Amnesia: Revelations?"
=========

Some other forum members made contributions to the list.

Another one I feel is similarly annoying but not nearly as bad is country and city names in titles, like American Sniper. It must be to sound like a story is a bold statement about a place. There is plenty of great stories with titles like that though, Tokyo Fist is one of my favourites.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Cnev (05-11-2016), Ibrahim (03-06-2016), miguel1984 (03-06-2016)