View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017   #15
Evans
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Nihilist poseurs and tiresome decadent rebels?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Not really a rant. I love this forum and I like most of the people here but on occasion I roll my eyes at some statements about existence or human life, not because I completely disagree (sometimes I do, sometimes I dont) but the manner in which it's expressed. It can seem a bit performative.
Sometimes they're talking about the meaninglessness of everything, in a manner perhaps a bit too grand and majestic for someone who believes that. Or maybe I've misunderstood them?

Why does nihilism sometimes attract poseurs, with sometimes fascist leanings? I'd like to know exactly what inspired the depiction of nihilists in The Big Lebowski. It's funny to imagine them based on real people.

In dark and heavy music in particular there is a lot of this. Even some musicians I deeply respect define themselves too much in opposition to the people they don't like. I don't believe you can properly flourish if you focus on being the opposite of people you hate, you might end up even being a sort of similar yet distorted mirror image of them.

Boyd Rice exudes some of these qualities so much I don't really want to listen to his music.

I recently read a negative review of Huysmans that suggests he's a bit like some of this. Is he? Is it a part of decadent art to be selfconsciously outrageous?

Thoughts?
The term Nihilism is unhelpful here. In some cases what we have is a form or derivative of Nietzschean where the focus is on an intoxicating aesthetic (indeed the pursuit of this aesthetic, itself arbitrary and like all else unjustifiable, becomes the sole imposed telos of existence). Even if they do not consciously admit this to be the case/or take it to its logical conclusions it is this kind of 'Nihilism' which has a big place in the alternative music community. There's a number of reasons for this e.g. the traditional Dionysian role of music and the historical influence of Nietzsche on Euro-Paganism and the counter-culture right.

Huysmans is a different case. As an individual he was neurotically sensitive to both visual ugliness and beauty. The French Naturalist school of literature from which he emerged also made a point of focusing on the most grimy and downbeat aspects of modern life as a way to scandalize and (sometimes) raise awareness of social corruption. Husymans took the same approach first to illustrate the philosophy of Schopenhauer and later the truth of a certain kind of Catholicism.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Urraca View Post
Nowadays, any sort of unusual belief-system attracts edgelords. Nihilism is pretty edgy, and fascism is even moreso; I imagine certain people like to combine the two to achieve maximum 9edgy18me. Also, the promise of destroying all moral claims attracts people that are called immoral (such as fascists, along with other political zealots).
I wouldn't deny this connection, however ultimately the two are incompatible. Like any political system Fascism must contain normative elements which of course are incompatible with the denial of objective values.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Urraca View Post
Certain pessimists / nihilists / antinatalists lack a sense of humor. I try to use humor to soften my rantings on the awfulness of things. A little jocularity goes a long way. Another thing to consider is that people often sound silly whenever they talk about their feelings (especially those of existential dread/despair). I don't think it's a good thing to directly talk about one's feelings. I think the antinatalist / nihilist / pessimist community should devote more time to making good memes and ####posting; IMO this would be very productive.
Productive of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
I second Raul. Life is a joke, so why not laugh?
There is as much reason to laugh as not to laugh, that is none at all. People still have a tendency to dive for moral indignation if one laughs at or wills the suffering of others however.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-29-2017), Mr. Veech (01-29-2017), Nirvana In Karma (01-29-2017), Raul Urraca (01-29-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (01-29-2017)