View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016   #4
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100 Points: 95,929, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Ruinenlust and Weird Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by xylokopos View Post
I am looking forward to the rest of your posts, this is of immense interest to me. My travel blog - link in my signature line - serves as my repository for thousands of photographs I have taken from hundreds of ruined sites. I almost always travel seeking ruins. A couple of years ago I also wrote a book about ruins in Singapore, where I live. I am always thinking of publishing more material on the teleology and aesthetics of ruination.

There is a great Ligotti quote about the allure of ruins, I think it is from My Work Is Not Yet Done, something about a ruined world being the opposite of the world of work.
Congratulations on the book, xylokopos. This title sounds most interesting.

I don't remember the Ligotti quote you mention, let me see if I can locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bendk View Post
Look forward to examples of this you have found in the works of weird fiction.
Thanks, Ben. I will be posting those on a weekly basis. I don't think my choices will be much of a surprise for TLO members, but then I couldn't find a universal retrospective article about Ruinenlust in weird fiction. I hope my short compilations will serve as food for thought to those interested in the subject.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily

Last edited by yellowish haze; 01-04-2017 at 02:16 AM..
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (01-02-2017), ChildofOldLeech (12-28-2016), miguel1984 (12-28-2016), xylokopos (01-03-2017)