View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014   #4
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Your favorite mainstream horror books?

Tastes, of course, change, to a greater or lesser extent over time. I think it's natural to be more open-minded in some ways when younger and more narrow-minded in others. Case in point: I think in my twenties, I would have thought the Analects is something I 'should' read but would find tedious, and that Anne Rice would be something I enjoyed reading. Now, the Analects is something I enjoy reading, and 'should' read, and Anne Rice is likely neither.

I've noticed in recent years when I try to read the 'blockbuster' style fiction that what was exciting to me when I was younger - this kind of designer panoramic sweep of action - now seems to me stodgy and artificial and I can't work up much of an appetite for it. (Even some of the more prestigious names writing in such a style.)

I have actually read Anne Rice, by the way. I went through an Anne Rice phase, I suppose in the late eighties. I remember particularly enjoying The Vampire Lestat.

Similarly, I have enjoyed a couple of books by Poppy Z. Brite. A lot of the names on the list, I can't comment on at all, not having read them.

If I were snowed up in the middle of Greenland, in some sort of isolated cabin/bunker/lair, and the only books on the shelves were by the authors listed, I think the ones I would be most likely to pick off the shelves would be Clive Barker and Poppy Z. Brite.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (11-28-2014)