View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017   #4
ukiyo-e cat
Quotes:
Re: Will cruelty and horror become normalized?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
I've known some nice people who watched really sick stuff and it seems to be due to an abundance of morbid curiosity and perhaps a lack of reflection. It appalled me that they found some of these videos humorous, but they could still acknowledge how horrible and wrong these things were.

My friends knew a nice guy who liked happy slapping videos and he seemed to not even consider the ethical implications of watching this stuff for fun.
I think you underestimate the human brain's capacity for functional plasticity. I do agree a lot of times it is morbid curiosity but most certainly not all of the time.

I think the curse of being human is man cannot agree on a set of normative and meta ethics uniformly across cultures.

I mean, sacrificial rituals were common in many cultures of various time periods and, from historical descriptions, many reveled in it. With the growth of moral anti-realism, it's possible such events may be seen as neutral or desirable at large. I feel the subculture Coa referred to is a symptom of that whether through desensitazion or gratification.

Last edited by ukiyo-e cat; 06-02-2017 at 12:12 AM..