Thread: Fairy Tales
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016   #4
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Fairy Tales

Attachment 1461Thanks for the recommendations, I will add The Juniper Tree and The Bloody Chamber to my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
Neil Gaiman's comic book series The Sandman is not a fairy tale as such, but it does include a lot of fairy tale elements. I've been curious about it for a while but haven't made up my mind to order it yet. So this is perhaps an occasion to ask what people think of it?

https://www.readdcentertainment.com/...ics-series/349
I haven't read it myself but I have heard positive things from my friend. Personally, I won't pick it up until I finish everything on my book shelf.

A favorite of mine with fairy tale elements: A Feather Pillow by Horacio Quiroga. I think this is the (nonofficial ?) best translation I've seen.

His The Beheaded Chicken story is good too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Feather Pillow.pdf (133.1 KB, 14 views)

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (04-23-2016), miguel1984 (04-23-2016), MTC (04-24-2016), Nirvana In Karma (04-23-2016)