View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015   #8
dr. locrian
Town Manager
Quotes: 2
Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: 'True Detective' Season 2 News: HBO Crime Drama Heading To The Big Screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaking Mute View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Locrian View Post
One important element that is missing in season 2 trailer: any sense of the uncanny which practically dripped from every frame of season 1.
Pizzolatto stated he was unhappy that the first season came too close to outright supernatural horror. From that and his other statements regarding Weird Fiction, I'm guessing the second season is going to be a more straightforward detective story.
Yeah, I remember the interview (with Hitfix I think) in which Pizzolatto denied that weird fiction was all that central to TD as an influence. Notably, he said that Chambers was a lousy writer, and that his show's primary influences were Faulkner and the Bible (which he recommended that the viewer read while watching TD).

"Thomas Ligotti is a master of a different order, practically a different species. He probably couldn’t fake it if he tried, and he never tries. He writes like horror incarnate.”
—Terrence Rafferty, New York Times Book Review
dr. locrian is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Mad Madison (10-02-2022), miguel1984 (04-09-2015), Speaking Mute (04-09-2015), waffles (04-09-2015)