View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009   #20
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Movie Recommendations

I've just posted one of my Amazon reviews to another thread. It's reminded me that I gave five stars to this film:

Nude On The Moon [1960] [DVD]

Dvd ~ Marietta
Price: £16.59

Availability: In stock

Possibly the worst film ever made -- but a lot of fun, 24 Jul 2008

I'm not sure that it's possible meaningfully to award stars to this film. The only possibilities are one or five stars and, since the other two reviewers have opted for one star, I've gone for five.

This may possibly be the worst film ever made -- I think that it's worse than "The Wild Women of Wongo". And yet... I've watched it three times, and enjoyed it more each time. There are so many open mouthed moments. The most audacious may be when the astronauts are on their way to the rocket launch site. They drive past a cinema showing another Doris Wishman film. The younger one says that he'd been to see the film the night before. When his older companion sensibly suggests that he should have had an early night, the reply is "It was well worth it!"

En route to the moon, the earth is mirror imaged. Landing on the moon, they find large chunks of what they say is pure gold (it doesn't look much like it). But the sensible older astronaut says that it may be reduced to "worthless dust" during their return voyage to earth. (Leaving me wondering what forces capable of reducing gold to "worthless dust" would do to human bodies.)

The Moon turns out to have a population of girls wearing knickers and head antennae, but no bras. (No one is actually nude, but this was made pre- Trade Descriptions Act.) What was presumably still risque in 1960 is now just silly. But silliness has its place.

Included as an extra is a cosmic striptease short, which is at least as jaw-dropping as "Nude on the Moon" itself. Well worth watching.

The whole package is a lot of fun and has given me more hours of viewing pleasure than most of the DVDs I own. On reflection, it is worth five stars.

I might add that one of the people to whom I've shown this film (on DVD) is the TLO's own beloved Des Lewis. ;)

No one has yet (on Amazon) voted the review to be helpful. ;)

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Daisy (02-26-2009), Ligeia (02-26-2009)