View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017   #5
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: The Supernatural

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
As to supernatural or spiritual perceptions, I believe those can also be a form of faint glimmering beyond our physical capacity (if not, more often, purely mental illusions and emotional distortions of the senses). But such experiences are so personal, that they cannot really be shared with others. The responses from telling others, will not be meaningful beyond gaping disbelief and blank stares; in other words, deeply unsatisfactory. Such experiences are best left transformed into the arts, where some meaning may be destilled from it.
I explained this to someone recently. If someone does in fact encounter something supernatural, then it must be frustrating beyond belief to communicate it to another person.

@ James

Yes, I've thought of the "region of the undefined" you mentioned as an "open space" in which strange things can possibly happen.

@ Ibrahim

I think there's a sort melancholy longing embodied in a lot of weird fiction, a longing for a different world. A materialist can experience this, though he or she must ultimately recognize its attainment as illusory. What do you mean by "Spirit?" My knowledge of Islam is (sadly) very poor.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Arthur Staaz (02-11-2017), miguel1984 (02-11-2017), ToALonelyPeace (02-11-2017)