Old 07-16-2017   #6
xylokopos
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,051, Level: 90 Points: 17,051, Level: 90 Points: 17,051, Level: 90
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Borges and God

Like all men of the Library, I have traveled in my youth. I have journeyed in search of a book, perhaps of the catalogue of catalogues; now that my eyes can scarcely decipher what I write, I am preparing to die a few leagues from the hexagon in which I was born. Once dead, there will not lack pious hands to hurl me over the banister; my sepulchre shall be the unfathomable air: my body will sink lengthily and will corrupt and dissolve in the wind engendered by the fall, which is infinite. I affirm that the Library is interminable. The idealists argue that the hexagonal halls are a necessary form of absolute space or, at least, of our intuition of space. They contend that a triangular or pentagonal hall is inconceivable. (The mystics claim that to them ecstacy reveals a round chamber containing a great book with a continuous back circling the walls of the room; but their testimony is suspect; their words, obscure. That cyclical book is God.) Let it suffice me, for the time being, to repeat the classic dictum: The Library is a sphere whose consumate center is any hexagon, and whose circumference is inaccessible.
The Library of Babel, 1941 [tr. Anthony Kerrigan]

xylokopos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (07-16-2017), miguel1984 (07-17-2017)