Old 03-05-2016   #8
Cnev
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 18,611, Level: 94 Points: 18,611, Level: 94 Points: 18,611, Level: 94
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Science says stop complaining

I went to college later in life (30s), and majored in a science field myself. I was very detached from the whole experience and didn't socialize at all aside from the very few professors/researchers whom I respected. From what I experienced, there was this really maddening, blind, and reckless acceptance of "science" that seemed to pervade not only the alumni but also the faculty. It was so weird to me that some people walked around as though they were so above and beyond their peers intellectually but never seemed to really be able to look at things through their own eyes and genuinely question the world around them. This bothers me, because these people were generally the ones doing all the ass kissing and getting the research positions that everyone else wanted. I learned very quickly that being successful in college wasn't about hard work, open-mindedness and self-challenge, it was ultimately about carefully choosing what ideas you blindly support, and how willing you are to sell yourself out to them to your superiors.

I guess what I'm getting at is I felt an excessive amount of dishonesty throughout scientific academia that really chapped my cheeks, and it makes me wonder how far this kind of #### spreads throughout higher forms of scientific study. I don't know, and for the sake of my blood pressure, I don't know if I want to.
Cnev is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Arthur Staaz (03-06-2016), gveranon (03-06-2016), Malone (03-06-2016), miguel1984 (03-05-2016), Professor Nobody (05-10-2016), qcrisp (03-06-2016), teguififthzeal (03-06-2016)