Thread: Rhys Hughes
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017   #196
rhysaurus
Chymist
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 26,636, Level: 100 Points: 26,636, Level: 100 Points: 26,636, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Rhys Hughes

Lots of talk about Lovecraft in the air at the moment, so....

I have written many Lovecraft-inspired stories in my time. Most of them have a strong whimsical or ironic element and a few are downright parodies. Two of them, 'The Bicycle Centaur' and 'How Gangrene was my Sally', appeared in the recent Cthulhu Cymraeg anthologies. I am currently planning a new one called 'The Whisperer in Darkness Bangs his Head on an Unseen Projection' and I am also toying with the idea of writing another called 'The People of Colour Out of Space'.

The parodist and whimsical experimenter contributes to the genre of the weird by taking the hidden logical absurdities that are already in the structures of the texts of the key authors and playing with them to reveal them for what they are, and then extrapolating from them to produce a wild flight of fancy. The ideal is to simultaneously push the form forward and make much mischief with it. One of my older Lovecraft-inspired experiments that appeared in one of my collections many years ago is available to be read online here:

Parodies are not disrespectful. What is disrespectful is to ignore an author and take no inspiration from that author. Parodies are indicative simply of a playful nature.

"Nothing can be known, not even this." - Carneades
rhysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2017), miguel1984 (08-25-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (08-25-2017), Speaking Mute (08-25-2017), Zaharoff (08-25-2017)