View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017   #21
Justin Isis
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: The Experimental Fiction Depository

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana In Karma View Post
Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post
Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post
I might as well start us off. Here's a piece from the aforementioned Joseph S Pulver, 'The Unmistakeable Shape of Night's River'.

The Unmistakable Shape of Nights River, by Joseph S. Pulver, Sr. | Lovecraft eZine
This is a good example of the type of experimental fiction that leaves me cold, and I am partial to stream of consciousness fiction when handled in a certain way. I wish the author well as at least they're trying, but I found that irritating to finish reading, and all I got from it was the impression the writer really wanted to impress people and let them know how hip and with it they are, but it came across as sort of.. hollow and embarrassing to me?

Perhaps I'm more conservative than I realised, but I like it when Justin Isis attempts similar material.
I've come across Justin Isis work before, though I've never actually read any. The titles of his work suggest something within the realms of 'Bizarro', which is a genre I can't get along with, even though I enjoy the experimental. Is his work actually in this line, or should I give him a shot?
Justin Isis
I mostly write Realism, sometimes science fiction. Although the book I'm putting out this year is Pleasant, along with the one Brendan Connell is putting out.

I'd never write weird fiction, horror, etc. - these genres seem founded on the assumption that the universe is unknown and indifferent/frighteningly mysterious, whereas Pleasant writers see the universe as a tiny friend who helps them out, much like a juvenile Santa Claus or a miniature, anatomically perfect cheerleader.

I wouldn't write bizarro fiction as I consider it to be vulgar and written by people with poor fashion sense and general taste.
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Liam Barden (05-29-2017), miguel1984 (05-29-2017), Nirvana In Karma (05-29-2017), Raul Urraca (05-29-2017)