View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016   #37
Karnos
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Re: Science says stop complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Tulayev View Post

Perhaps I have misunderstood the tone and tenor of some of the posts, and I'm not trying to lampoon anyone, I'm just trying to get a better ideas as to where folks are coming from.
I guess it has more to do with a disdain for scientism and today's "yay-science" pop attitude than any real disdain for science and the pursuit of natural knowledge.

Before switching to architecture (which I never practiced anyway) I studied electrical engineering and before that I wanted to enroll in either physics or astronomy. Whatever the case, I have an appreciation for science and honest scientific inquiry, and it would be hypocritical to deny the worth and value of science if I am actually writing this on a computer and sending it your way through a network of fiber optics and servers.

However my, and many other people's, problem is with some scientists's (and their fans) belief that science is the only means through which valid knowledge can be acquired (I won't say "truth" because personally I don't believe such thing exists, and even if it did, it probably is unattainable), when in fact it is only a tool that gives valid results for given situations. In this case, the physical, measurable Universe.

I find it in really bad taste when many scientifically minded people disdain the humanities, art, literature and philosophy because they don't get results. Pop-science darling Neil de Grasse Tyson was once caught with his pants down saying something like that in a podcast. Stephen Hawkings has said something along those lines as well, and don't get me started with that idiot Lawrence Kraus. These brilliant people are so blinded by their ego and devotion to their field they forget that the reason why the humanities do not produce rocket ships or vaccines is because the humanities do not address such issues.

I don't even remember what else I was going to write here, but I'm sure that the smarter members of the community already got it covered. It is not an anti-science stance. It is anti-scientism.

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
gveranon (03-10-2016), Justin Isis (03-10-2016), miguel1984 (03-10-2016), qcrisp (03-11-2016)